Like its running out of gas

Wachusett Mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, clearly I'm no mechanic, but recently my Craftsman 42" with the Briggs & Stratton Platinum I/C 20HP twin cylinder engine started acting up. I mowed my back lawn and ran it around the perimeter of the front when it exhibited symptoms of running and dying out, like it was running out of fuel. I pulled it toward the garage and more fuel but, the problem was, it wasn't running out of fuel, I still had half a tank. I didn't have time to mess with it being a week night, so I left it for the next day.

I had just changed the oil and cleaned the foam pre-filter over the air filter the night before. By previous plan, I bought a new fuel filter and spark plug, swapped those out, but again, same issue. Removing the air filter entirely didn't help either.

There is no fuel pump, so with plenty of fuel, a new fuel filter, plug, and no air filter, there's nothing that should keep this from running as its straight simple. To me, this is a lack of fuel issue. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Please post the model number information off of the engine. I can't think of a single twin cylinder briggs without a fuel pump.

Threads
Ok, clearly I'm no mechanic, but recently my Craftsman 42" with the Briggs & Stratton Platinum I/C 20HP twin cylinder engine started acting up. I mowed my back lawn and ran it around the perimeter of the front when it exhibited symptoms of running and dying out, like it was running out of fuel. I pulled it toward the garage and more fuel but, the problem was, it wasn't running out of fuel, I still had half a tank. I didn't have time to mess with it being a week night, so I left it for the next day.

I had just changed the oil and cleaned the foam pre-filter over the air filter the night before. By previous plan, I bought a new fuel filter and spark plug, swapped those out, but again, same issue. Removing the air filter entirely didn't help either.

There is no fuel pump, so with plenty of fuel, a new fuel filter, plug, and no air filter, there's nothing that should keep this from running as its straight simple. To me, this is a lack of fuel issue. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.

clean the carburetor. sounds like that's an issue.

Wachusett Mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Its a Briggs & Stratton I/C Platinum 20 HP Turbo Cool and says Family YBSXS.7482VE 274567 on a Crafstman Model 917.270940 Tractor.

I keep getting stuck on the concept that if it was a carburetor issue, why was I able to mow the entire back yard before it started having issues? Probably 35-40 minutes running before issues, and it just seemed like it was running out of fuel.

I could be wrong about no fuel pump, but I thought the manual said it didn't.

To add to the confusion, I can get it to start and run fine for about 5 minutes now, after spraying carb cleaner in it, changing the fuel filter, plugs etc., then it starts surging etc. By surging I mean running fine, then dying out like its running out of fuel. If its the fuel pump, why would it run for 5 minutes before the issue starts. Its almost like it gets hot enough and the problems start.

This thing has been absolutely flawless since 1999/2000 when I bought it. Annual oil changes, clean the pre-air filter, but honestly I only change the air filter every few years, and same for plugs and fuel filter.

Its kept in my shed, critter free. I use Sea Foam and marine grade stabil in all of my fuel. I also now add Polaris Pure to the fuel as an anti-ethanol treatment.

Very frustrating. I have not pulled the carb entirely or tried to rebuild it yet, but that might be where I head next. Unfortunately I work 13 hours a day so I don't know when I'll squeeze this in.

Wachusett Mike

Forum Newbie
Threads
I stand corrected, it does have a fuel pump. I just found an exploded view of the engine on-line, with a manual found at Sears Parts area.

The engine is Model 461707, Type Number 0145-E3.

I found part number for Diaphragm Fuel Pump and Kit Fuel Pump, along with Carburetor Kit and Float- Carburetor....

PootsyPot

Forum Newbie
Threads
So what happened? Same identical everything except 8 years later. Are there suggestions?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think the guy discovered that he had a bad fuel pump. Hasn't been seen since 2014 so you may never get him to answer.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF you star a new thread you will get a better response
Several of the regular techs no longer answer "tack on's" to old threads because very rarely the problems are the same & in most cases the poster ignores all that had been suggested previously.
Then on top of this people tend to post the same problem to 20 other forums .
And to add insult to injury like Mike, they do not have the simple manners to come back with a problem solved post, let alone a thank you.
Makes you wonder what sort of parents they had and even worse what sort of children they will brought up..

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
IF you star a new thread you will get a better response
Several of the regular techs no longer answer "tack on's" to old threads because very rarely the problems are the same & in most cases the poster ignores all that had been suggested previously.
Then on top of this people tend to post the same problem to 20 other forums .
And to add insult to injury like Mike, they do not have the simple manners to come back with a problem solved post, let alone a thank you.
Makes you wonder what sort of parents they had and even worse what sort of children they will brought up..
Like the guy who came in the shop and bought a set of ignition modules for a Kohler engine not sure of the model was not in on that part and then calls back and said I put new ignition modules on it but it's doing the same thing only runs when U pull the choke on. ROFLMAO. Shees what idiots

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
they do not have the simple manners to come back with a problem solved post, let alone a thank you.
Amen to this. (y)