Lifted front now won't start

JamesD

Threads
Glad to hear lifting the mower was likely not the problem! I was worried I might have leaked oil somewhere I shouldn't have.

I'll check the ignition coil next chance I get.

Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only thing to watch when lifting up high is the battery leaking acid & the tank leaking fuel through the cap
You remove the former and put some cling wrap over the tank filler then screw the cap on

JamesD

Threads
Well, I though I had the problem figured but not so fast. I checked the magneto and spark plug cable. I found that the wires at the spark plug end of the cable were frayed a bit from some past damage before I owned this mower.
The boot was torn and had electrical tape around it. I removed the boot and the metal connector that the plug sits in. I cut back the insulation to expose good wire, attached a new connector, crimped it and replaced the boot (which is in two pieces broken in the middle).
I can confirm that the magneto is working, power is again getting to the metal connector at the spark plug end of the cable, but still no spark from the plug when touching the engine block.
I removed the plug from the cable, held the metal connector near the engine block and cranked the engine. While doing so I was able to get electricity to arc from the metal connector to the engine.. But it seems to not want to pass through the spark plug new one or the old.
Befuddled.

JamesD

Threads
My best guess at this point is the wiring from the magneto is at fault. Going to replace the magneto and cross my fingers.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hope you were grounding the spark plug electrode to the engine block. You get spark but not with any spark plug attached. So were the plugs dropped on the ground?

slomo

JamesD

Threads
Problem solved. Plugs were good, the magneto was making power but perhaps not enough. Otherwise it was the actual cable. But seeing as the cable is non removable I got the new magneto and slapped it on. The spark is back! Unfortunately, I have blown the breather gasket and leaked oil haha. Oh well. That's an easy fix and I'll be up and mowing again. Thank you all for your help.

DELTASCIENCES

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower is a 42 inch poulan pro automatic with a briggs and stratton 17hp intek motor.
Mower PN: pr17h42sta

Mower was running fine last time I cut the grass.

After sitting about a week, I found that grass had built up under the mower deck so rather than removing the deck to clean it I just lifted the front end of the mower until the wheels were about shoulder height. I braced it there with a board and scraped the deck to remove the large chunks of grass. I then spayed it down with a jet nozzle on my garden hose to get some of the dirt off too. Finally I blasted it with compressed air and changed the blades out. It was probably raised up like that for about an hour. After lowering the front end back down the mower refused to start.

It turns over no problem but no ignition. I changed the gas out for fresh gas. I checked the fuel filter and fuel bowl. I tried spraying brake cleaner in through the air vent and then sparkplug hole but no sound of combustion. Cleaned out the carburetor which was in good shape anyway. Replaced the spark plug which didn't look too bad. Checked my wiring connections to be sure power was getting to the plug, it is. Drained and changed the oil.. None of this resulted in the lawn mower firing up. It just cranks round and round as if gas wasn't flowing but it is.

Any help on this will be appreciated.

DELTASCIENCES

Forum Newbie
Threads
if spray carb cleaner in intake and there is fire nd nothing happens it can only be compression those inteks are bad about sticking valves order a valve cover gasket set take covers off. its a easy fix.

JamesD

Threads
Thank you. My compression is good though. I've adjusted the valves with the appropriate shims to help the mower run smooth. When I sprayed the brake clean (which is flammable) into the air intake I was not getting any combustion because I had no spark.

DELTASCIENCES

Forum Newbie
Threads
I DONT EVER CONDONE disableing safty switch but you have a loose wire or corroded connection pull ground wire on motor you should get spark then track done connection or switch probably loose or corroded