Export thread

LED replacements for stock headlights?

J

Jinzo Ningen

Anyone upgraded their stock 'Hopper lights for a set of LED units?? The forklifts where I work were just replaced under lease and all of the new lifts have LED headlights. Man, those things are amazingly bright! LED has many benefits: they run cooler, last longer and draw less juice from the battery/charging system. Really, the only drawback is that being somewhat "new" they are also kinda pricy. Just wondering if any Grasshopper owners here have taken the plunge? I am looking for alternatives to the factory lights. They don't illuminate much and the location makes half the light hit the deck and not the yard. If I get my ROPS built I think I'll try mounting a LED units up top, aiming down for better low-light visibility.

K

KennyV

High mounted lights do work better... But they also seem to attract a lot of bugs...
& you are right, LED's are nice low current bright and long lasting... But still a bit pricey. :smile:KennyV

B

Berniep

Yeah if anyone knows where you can get 12v led worklights for a reasonable price please post a link.
The last time I went looking all I found was ones like are on those forklifts for about 200 each.
Get em down to about 50 and I might be interested. I need em for my mower and my tractor.

thehemikid

thehemikid

Yeah if anyone knows where you can get 12v led worklights for a reasonable price please post a link.
The last time I went looking all I found was ones like are on those forklifts for about 200 each.
Get em down to about 50 and I might be interested. I need em for my mower and my tractor.

I bought a pair of these LED work lights for auxiliary back-up lights (on a relay)for my enclosed trailer, but don't have them fully functional yet to see if they'll be bright enough for me.

Maxxima Heavy Duty Work Flood Light White LED MWL-04 | eBay

Seeing your thread, got me thinking, ...mmmm my left head light on my 721D is out. :biggrin:
I'll see whats wrong with it first.

thehemikid

thehemikid

I have them functional now, if anyone is interested, I have some "in the dark" pic's, ( on an enclosed trailer though ), that I can try to post. Looks like they would be pretty bright for mowing, but I'm sure there's brighter ones out there though. :smile:

B

Berniep

Yeah I would be interested.
What is your impression of them over a standard work light?
That's getting down into my price range.

thehemikid

thehemikid

This'll be my first attempt at posting pic's here on this site, ....so we'll see.

If your talking about those working lights like on the side of an enclosed trailer for working on you car in the pit's ( I think those are ~ 300 watts, I have 2 of those also ), no these don't quite compare to those but if I can get these pic's to post, my brothers trailer is parked next to mine. He just put some of those Rural King incandescent's on his flat bed goose neck ( dont remember the cost ~$35 I think for the pair ). I'll turn them on & take a pic side by side to see, & I'll that a pic of the 300W's too to compare.

This first pic is the 18 LED per side repacements I put in a few months ago.

Attachments

thehemikid

thehemikid

Well that worked OK.

This next pic is the (auxiliary's on a relay) LED work lights added,... triggered by the other back-ups.

they're turned ~ 45*'s towards the sides for a larger pan while turning.

Edit: these pic's make them look a little brighter than in person.

Attachments

B

Berniep

I just broke on of the aux lights on my tractor that I got from tractor supply.
I think they were either 35 or 45 watts.
With these led I might be able to put 4 on without stressing the charging system. Although the current draw is not listed.

thehemikid

thehemikid

With these led I might be able to put 4 on without stressing the charging system. Although the current draw is not listed.

Over there on their site (R & P Carriage...) they have a Maxx... 375 Lumens also with a .98 amp draw,...so I figured these 400 Lumens wouldn't be but a tad more.

thehemikid

thehemikid

They also have a 500 lumen LED flood/work light too,...but its an auction deal.

LED work light items - Get great deals on Lighting- LED, Misc items on eBay Stores!

thehemikid

thehemikid

On that link above they now have the 500 Lumen for $49.95.

thehemikid

thehemikid

Well I had a major repair on my 721D yesterday,....I replaced the left headlight bulb ( broken filament ) :laughing:.

With out any manuals on this mower, I didn't know it was an 1156 bulb. So after fix'n it, I went looking for some LED's to just plug in, but thought I'd search & find out ( again ) how many Lumen a 1156 puts out first. It appears to be ~402 Lumens. So finding a 1156 type base LED with more than 400 Lumens is a "Hmmmm".

Anyway,...FWIW,...I was back on Superbrightled's site & I saw these pic's of a zero turn with some work lights on it similar to what I had in mind when I mounted some like them on my enclosed trailer.

These Hot day's have got me thinking about mowing after dark.....

10 Watt Heavy Duty High Powered LED Spot Light

EDIT: The brightest 1156 I could find @ this site was a 220 Lumen.

S

sss

leds are good but not woth the trouble to replace the originals with them:biggrin:

thehemikid

thehemikid

...Looks 1.26 amp savingly bright to me. :smile:

Attachments

N

neo71665

LEDs look great in pics or as view dierctly head on but when retrofitting tend to do poorly for output. Due to the way they cast light the houseing has to be designed for them to work right. Save our money on the headlights, places like side markers and tail lights work great to retrofit.

thehemikid

thehemikid

...What about these Halogen, ...anybody tried them?

...I'll try to call & get a $, amp draw, lumen, etc, info tomorrow.

Attachments

thehemikid

thehemikid

...Fwiw,...I called Grasshopper today an asked about the Halogen bulbs. I don't remember the fellows name, but he told me they are a Kit with Bulb, socket, pigtail, etc so that it adapts to existing wiring. P/N 503313 & is $85. He didn't have the amp draw or how many Lumen they were.

...He said from his on personal experience, there is a pretty significant difference over the stock 1156.

...I searched the site blow to find them for 67.50, ...like I said, ...Fwiw.

http://www.dcs.state.ok.us/sw_contracts.nsf/6fe2a5d9256854f886256c63004e411e/b86f020823f5953c86256c79004a8095/$FILE/Grasshopper%20OK%20State%202011%20Prices.pdf

Edit: Sorry it no clicky

M

mullins87

thehemikid

thehemikid

...That last one there with 1350 Lumens is the best deal I've seen yet. Have you purchased anything from this site

M

mullins87

...That last one there with 1350 Lumens is the best deal I've seen yet. Have you purchased anything from this site

I've purchased a few small items from them. However, since they are an overstock/new old stock/new take-off equipment seller, they don't always what I need at that moment. But, their wide selection of items keeps me coming back all the time to see what new items they have. I wouldn't hesitate to make a large purchase with them.

thehemikid

thehemikid

:thumbsup:

R

RickO

Hi guys. I'm new here. I just grabbed a great deal from Sears. The Sear Essential Store near me is being closed so I got a PGT9000 and a triple bagger all for $2864. Good deal. I have almost 5 acres to cut and of that 2.5 gets bagged, (because the dog will eat the clippings otherwise and puke all over the carpets.)

Since I have to cut well into the night or cut for two days (with the old one) not to mention I just HAVE to trick out my new ride I wanted to add good lights, very good lights to this rig. This is where I'm at.

I went to a website SuperbriteLEDs and purchased 1156 LED towers that put out 130 lumens. No big deal but where my brain was wrapped was more towards lowering the power consumption so I had a greater ability to add lights to the bumper/push bar I installed. Okay, I know that I've lowered the consumption but do not know if I've lowered it enough to add two fog lights to the bumper. Fog lights use the halogen H4 bulb and take 55 watts, (each.)

Thinking that would be WAY too much burden against the electrical system I looked for LED work lights. The perfect ones were at that same site I mentioned but they were $80 a piece. (Too much money.) Here;s the deal, I found something semi-better at Quantilutions at 80 for the pair. Power consumption aside, fog lights cost about 20 bucks so it was easy to shell out 60 more for (what I hope) perfection.

The units I bought are 18 watt, 1160 lumens each. or a total impact of 36 more watts to the system LESS the savings garnered by replacing the 1156 with LED towers...

The big question: Will I be able to wire these in to run at the same time and NOT over burden the electrical system? No place in my manual does it state what the overall output is in terms of electrical power. (Damn.)

These lights will be able to turn night in to day. You advice and input is requested and will be appreciated. - RickO

thehemikid

thehemikid

Well I'm no electrician by any means & not sure these are the same lights you are talking about, but here goes my stab at it.

two original 1156 incandescent________________2.1 amp each= 4.2 amp
two SuperbrightLED's 1156-WW18T_____________.21 amp each= .42 amp
two Quantilutions 18W LED Flood 1180 Lumens : 1.14 amp each= 2.28 amp

.42+2.28=2.70 amp

looks like 1.3 amps less than the 2 original 1156 bulbs, ...& anyone's welcome to correct where I'm wrong.

R

RickO

These are the same numbers I found while researching and crawling around the web. I'm a happy camper with the thought of being below the stock amp load, having LEDs that will be super durable and 2620 lumens pumped out of the front of the tractor. I guess the downside is I'll attract every flying insect for 2 square miles. That said, with the light I'll get I'll be able to work at night will be just insane. I have 4 plus acres to cut and with the old 42 inch deck running 18hp, it would take me two days. Kinda ruined my weekend from spring through fall. Before I bought this new PGT90000 Deb, (my wife) joked that what I really needed was a twenty thousand dollar lawn mower and a cheap Harley. I disagreed.
:tongue:

thehemikid

thehemikid

Well a happy mower has Grass in his teeth, but in your case a few bugs too.:licking:

One thing about LED light it defuses through the air different than Incandescent light, & some people don't care for it,...but I'm with you on the less amp load. I've been switching my cars over to LED's sense the late 90's.

If its taking up a lot of your time mowing into the dark, you might try a Neighborhood Mow Night.
Hope this link works.

Viral Video Player