leaving a streak

cruzenmike

Threads
When you position the blades tip-to-tip, how much clearance is there between them?

This is a problem that all non-timed, multi-blade mowers have. If you visualize an imaginary line between the axis of the leading blade to either trailing blade, you will see that as this imaginary line becomes perpendicular to the direction of the mower's movement, a gap exists that neither blade will cut. That problem is dealt with by keeping the gap between blades to a minimum and advising users to mow in a straight line. The owner's manual of my 2140 Cub Cadet with a two-blade, non timed deck advises users to make 270 degree turns to the right instead of making 90 degree left turns.
Your manual recommendation certainly makes sense considering that most 2 blade decks have the right blade out in front of the left one. On a 3 blade deck as the OP has, this issue would theoretically exist when turning right or left (which he stated is happening) and since these decks typically place the middle blade out in front, there would be a gap on either side of it.

One thing that I just thought of is the blade width. If the blades that the OP is using are not the correct width, wouldn't that also affect the gap/overlap in the deck?

The deck should be equipped with MTD part number 490-110-C185 for side discharge operation. Also would be good to check that the engine is running at the proper rpm, full throttle, no load as even a few hundred rpm can have a significant impact on cut quality.

Last edited:

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your manual recommendation certainly makes sense considering that most 2 blade decks have the right blade out in front of the left one. On a 3 blade deck as the OP has, this issue would theoretically exist when turning right or left (which he stated is happening) and since these decks typically place the middle blade out in front, there would be a gap on either side of it.

One thing that I just thought of is the blade width. If the blades that the OP is using are not the correct width, wouldn't that also affect the gap/overlap in the deck?

The deck should be equipped with MTD part number 490-110-C185 for side discharge operation. Also would be good to check that the engine is running at the proper rpm, full throttle, no load as even a few hundred rpm can have a significant impact on cut quality.
Mike, you're absolutely correct about the issue being there in right or left turns for 3-blade mowers. But I also think the 270 degree turns also keeps the mower in grass that's already been mowed.

The only way I see to keep that from happening would be to limit the turn radius of the mower but NOBODY is going to go for that. I'd be glad to see them bring back timed-blade mowers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Older decks had a greater overlap so this was not a problem.
Modern residentials have only 1/2" at best of overlap some are as low as 1/4" .
Add to that the idea that they all have to turn almost as sharp as a ZTR and you have this problem that is never explained to customers.
Then there is the total failure of matching the mower deck to the grass being grown and the idea the we humans are the masters of the universe so it will do as we wish .
Owner was told it is an inherit property of the deck in the 3rd post but he chose to ignore it.
Perhaps basic geometry is no longer taught in USA primary schools any more.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Add to that the idea that they all have to turn almost as sharp as a ZTR and you have this problem that is never explained to customers.
Then there is the total failure of matching the mower deck to the grass being grown and the idea the we humans are the masters of the universe so it will do as we wish .
Owner was told it is an inherit property of the deck in the 3rd post but he chose to ignore it.
But there are ways to deal with these inherit issues. Once you understand what's happening you can work around it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A full month back, in post # 7 Jesus freak was told just that but for some reason he refuses to believe it .
Some of my more obstinate customer had problems coming to grips with this till I did the 20¢ pieces & flour demonstration.
This was suggested in post # 13 yesterday but again Jesus Freak refuses to understand that he has to change the way he uses the mower rather than changing the mower .
People seem to have a problem understanding that grass is a real living thing and the grass you cut last week will not be exactly the same as the grass that you cut today .
I have this problem with office Johnnies who have always lived indoors , work indoors on the carpeted floor so believe everything should remain exactly the same .
Gardeners & farmers have no problems with this they understand the natural environment changes every day but office workers seem to have problems getting their heads around this.
And the higher up they are the less they seem to understand that things do not happen in a particular way just because they said so.
Perhaps I should have YELLED in place of repeating myself.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you kidding, Geometry? My state being Oklahoma is #48 or #49 out of 50 in high school test scores. Look at me, a pure dummy squad leader. And all our teachers want a pay raise LOL. I say bring up the test scores THEN we will talk about money. Kids are not benefiting at all from this teacher walk-out we had at the state capital. I say cut teacher pay by about 60% till the scores across all schools come up. They only work a few months out of the year anyway.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tire pressure is an easy check.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Are you kidding, Geometry? My state being Oklahoma is #48 or #49 out of 50 in high school test scores. Look at me, a pure dummy squad leader. And all our teachers want a pay raise LOL. I say bring up the test scores THEN we will talk about money. Kids are not benefiting at all from this teacher walk-out we had at the state capital. I say cut teacher pay by about 60% till the scores across all schools come up. They only work a few months out of the year anyway.

slomo
Getting off topic here , but if you are paying peanuts then only monkeys will apply for the job
You want the best and brightest to teach children and bring the best out in them .
However we do not value teachers so they are down the bottom of the pay pool so teaching becomes a last chance job for the hopeless.
We will happily pay a CEO $ 10,000,000 a year when in fact most businesses will run happily without a CEO as 9-11 proved but we are reluctant to pay teachers more than a barber or barman.
Look at the best schooling systems world wide and then look at what they pay their teachers compared to other professions.

The big problem is the system is run by the wealthy who want their kids to succed and if that means making sure your kids fail then they are fine with that.
SO the last thing they want is their kids not getting into Harvard because some snotty brat fathered by a mower mechanic got a better score.