Export thread

leaking fuel under carb

R

red2blue

Hello, all...

Next issue to rise up...leaking fuel from bottom of the carb. Statesman...16.5/42...model# 13AN694G016

There are two wires connected to a plug under the carb....this lil metal area has a black plastic...inner. This small cylindrical....thing...where the wires plug into the bottom of the carb...leaks. I have a shut off valve on the fuel line....still leaks.

I can't find the carb in the parts schematic....and the carbs i seen in the replacement parts area...do not have this lil cylindrical plug thing on the carb.

I'm sure the lil part is replaceable...though I wouldn't know how to do it....it's not threaded onto the carb...looks like it has four small tabs that're crimped onto the...bowl?

I can get a pic if you all need...or is my clear as crystal description enough?

Thanks for your time.

R

red2blue

Thanks, but none showed the carb with any any detail.

I

ILENGINE

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/Z6llAEVJ1DajI.pdf

this should be your engines parts breakdown. Look at page 5 item 947 or 947A. the problem could also be item 276 which is the gasket washer for the fuel solenoid. the solenoid is threaded and unscrews. may have to modify a cheap 1/2 inch wrench to fit in between the body of the solenoid and the carb bowl.

R

red2blue

Thanks, ILENGINE.

That solenoid seem to be the culprit. Evidently it's still threaded onto the bowl...wonder how the metal outer is now able to spin?....dunno. Anyway...what does the solenoid do?

Thanks again for your alls time.

I

ILENGINE

The one and only purpose is to help prevent the Bang after turning off the key. I have seen more than one where you could turn the outer casing. In most cases doesn't have an effect either way.

R

red2blue

Heh...if it's only purpose is to prevent backfire....it's never worked since I got the mower 6mnths ago....heh.

Okay...I had a cheap set of wrenches...fit between the bowl and solenoid...came right off....small paper gasket intact.

the lil "needle" moves freely...dunno if it works when hooked up though.

Anyway.....it seemed the fuel was leaking out between the threaded area and the rest so....I'll replace and hope for the best.

Aside...I always thought backfire was from un-burnt fuel in exhaust?

Thanks again.

I

ILENGINE

The afterfire is caused by unburnt fuel in the muffler. The solenoid works most of the time, but in some cases doesn't Have a customer with a toro Z turn that has a 17.5 hp briggs on it, and it always afterfired when shutdown. Last year it dropped a valve and went through the piston. Install a new engine and the new engine also afterfires. the only thing that is the same between the two engines is I had to reuse the muffler off the old engine. So sometimes the muffler itself could be the culprit for afterfire.

R

red2blue

10-4 thanks, IE.

U

upnorth

My solenoid never worked! OK maybe it did when the mower was new, but, down the line it quit working. a positive voltage comes off the ignition switch when its in the "on" position. what I did was add an aux switch in series with the battery and solenoid positive, not the ground wire.
now I have to turn on the switch to open the solenoid and the engine fires right up. to shut down I just turn off the aux switch and this closes the solenoid and stops fuel flow into the fuel bowl area.

R

red2blue

I installed the new solenoid...stopped fuel leak...did not come with a $.0004 paper gasket. I was able to cut the old one off so...all good there. Backfire is still there...maybe an exhaust leak from a PO's front end collision?...will check it out later. I thought about swapping out the wires since the new one came with them...but dayum...literally have one under the heat shield on the off side...left the old ones one...hope I don't regret that.

After reading the previous post...I will prolly exchange the old wires for the new. I swear...sometimes I wonder what these college boys think about when they design some of the things they do. I literally have one wire attached inside the heat shield on the off side.....!@#$%.