Lawnmower won’t start unless it’s in slow

Prayformojo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello...I have a quick question regarding my hrr2165vxa mower.

Ive been having trouble starting it recently. My mower will only start if I put the throttle in slow and pull the cord a few times...then it will turn over and stall. Then I put it in choke and it will start. I did take the carburetor off to clean last year so maybe I screwed something up with that or some cable is out of adjustment. If anyone has any ideas thank you...i cannot figure it out and there’s nothing online about mowers starting only in slow.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello...I have a quick question regarding my hrr2165vxa mower.

Ive been having trouble starting it recently. My mower will only start if I put the throttle in slow and pull the cord a few times...then it will turn over and stall. Then I put it in choke and it will start. I did take the carburetor off to clean last year so maybe I screwed something up with that or some cable is out of adjustment. If anyone has any ideas thank you...i cannot figure it out and there’s nothing online about mowers starting only in slow.
Cleaning something last year disqualifies it today. Might be some grass and dirt in the fuel when filling clogging the carb circuit/s. Do you use E-10 fuel? Does the mower sit outside when not being used? Not in a garage? Sounds like you do not use Stabil fuel stabilizer.

slomo.

Prayformojo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cleaning something last year disqualifies it today. Might be some grass and dirt in the fuel when filling clogging the carb circuit/s. Do you use E-10 fuel? Does the mower sit outside when not being used? Not in a garage? Sounds like you do not use Stabil fuel stabilizer.

slomo.
Thanks for the reply. It’s always garaged and I use the stabil stuff every time. I just took the carb off and cleaned it with the ultrasonic cleaner and it runs great...it’s just that it won’t start unless its in slow. It’s driving me crazy trying to figure out what’s wrong with it.

Born2Mow

Threads
And exactly how old is the fuel in the tank ?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Water in the tank? Drain the tank and put fresh fuel in. E-10 fuel? Is the choke plate actually closing? Watch the linkage and see if the choke activates.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you get any our -29F cold blast recently? If so wondering if your carb has freeze damage????

A starting/running issue most of the time is carb related.

I take a shop vac and a spray bottle loaded with Purple Power degreaser. Use the vac to simulate a huge vacuum on the carb directly and spray away both carb inlet directions. Put a temp fuel line in a bucket of Purple Power or pure ammonia. It will be drawn into the carb and clean it out.

You can also place the carb in the dishwasher. Remove all rubber and plastic parts first. Put it on pot scrubber mode. It will come out like new.

Or buy a new OEM carb and be done with it.

slomo

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I think that model has an automatic choke and a few service bulletins - even without bulletins it sounds like lean at attempt to start which means choke however it is operated.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think that model has an automatic choke and a few service bulletins - even without bulletins it sounds like lean at attempt to start which means choke however it is operated.
Is the choke plate working?

slomo

Born2Mow

Threads
It should hit and run with Starting Fluid. If you could get it to start and run for 15 minutes a whole raft of issues could be eliminated from the problem list.