Lawnboy Engine Control Bail

slb

Threads
Hava a model# 10546. Can anybody tell me how this works. I know that when you release the handle it shuts the engine off , but what is the cable connected to at the engine end????? and what does it do??????

Last edited:

justinreese

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am new to lawnboy and was curious about that myself so I removed my engine shroud and found that mine is actually a brake pad that is spring loaded and when u release the bail handle it enguages the pad against the side of the flywheel and I guess it just starts to slow it down till it quits. Kinda cool how it works but it looks like Im gonna need a new brake pad pretty soon. By the way mine is a f motor so yours might be a little different. Taking the shroud off is no big deal if you want to see how yours works.

Fireman 123

Threads
There's a spring loaded switch on that brake mechanism, that kills the ignition when the handle is released. The brake pad slows the engine down to a stop after it quits running.

slb

Threads
There's a spring loaded switch on that brake mechanism, that kills the ignition when the handle is released. The brake pad slows the engine down to a stop after it quits running.

When mowing, engine will start to quit and if I disengage and reingage handle fast enough engine continues to run. Do you think this switch is going bad??? and can it be replaced???

Fireman 123

Threads
Yeah I would check the switch. May just be a loose wire. All it is is a metal tab with a wire connected to it that rests next to a piece of plastic so I wouldn't really think the switch mechanism itself would be bad.

a.palmer jr.

Threads
This may be politically incorrect but I removed all that stuff from my Lawn Boy and replaced it with a single toggle switch located near the handle. Two wires from the switch to the two terminals on the ignition module and you're done. I also unbolted all that brake stuff from the engine.

slb

Threads
This may be politically incorrect but I removed all that stuff from my Lawn Boy and replaced it with a single toggle switch located near the handle. Two wires from the switch to the two terminals on the ignition module and you're done. I also unbolted all that brake stuff from the engine.

That is exactlly what I was thinking of doing!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrassBusterDE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe it keeps from blowing too much grass in the area around your severed fingers. Joke. I am doing same. In old days they had a turtle and a rabbit on the throttle.