Lawnboy 10525 won’t stay running then won’t restart

CBoDenver

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Lawnboy 10525 won’t stay running then won’t restart
Hey everybody! I was lucky enough to come across this lawn boy five years ago at a garage sale. It’s run perfectly for five years, then about four weeks ago I was cutting the lawn, and it died about a third of the way through. I checked the gas and had plenty and the lawnmower wouldn’t restart. I had to hit the road so I borrowed my neighbors mower and finish mowing the lawn. Next time I try to mow the lawn same thing. Once I let it cool down for about 30 to 45 minutes it’ll restart perfectly and run for about another third of the lawn. When it dies it doesn’t bog down. Just bye bye.

My lawnmower always starts on the first or second pull, I’ve tried all the standard things, cleaning the mower, replacing the spark plug, sharpening the blade, cutting the grass more often, cleaning out the exhaust/intake, new gas and I have no clue still.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The one thing You forgot to do is tell us which Lawn Boy mower you have. Lawn Boys have been around for forty years and if you would post the model and serial numbers we might be able to help you out. Sounds to me it’s either a fuel or ignition problem, but knowing which engine is mounted will dictate which direction you need to proceed.

CBoDenver

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model number 10525
Serial number 9901138

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To me, with that engine, it sounds to me like you are developing a hot open or short in the ignition module when it warms up. Next time it happens, check for spark, no spark probably means I’m correct. Replacement part number is 99-2916 and it’s not a hard job if you’re mechanically inclined.

dougmacm

Threads
Sounds like a bad ignition module to me too.

Doug

FuzzyDriver

Threads
You say 30 to 45 minutes cooldown and it'll restart. Try taking action to cool the ignition module down a lot faster and see if that restores it to working. Maybe put your vacuum sweeper hose on the outlet side and get 'er temperature down inside of five minuets.

CBoDenver

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will give that a try and then get that part ordered. Thanks!