lawn repair question

corvairbob

Threads
i live in muskegon mi. and i have a fenced in yard that the 2 small dogs use for ther duties. and as you guessed i have the normal spots starting. what i would like to do is reseed over those spots or even the complete backyard with a grass the is just dog pee proof. i water 2 times a week for an hour for each zone i have 3 zones 1 zone get 15 minutes as i have popups and they put out plenty of water.

anyway i really do not want to till the back yard and start a new lawn. i figure i may have to cut it down to 1"or so now that is it getting cold, and then toss seed over the area. or rake the bare spots and reseed them. but what seed will work for this? thanks

amendez9091

Forum Newbie
Threads
i live in muskegon mi. and i have a fenced in yard that the 2 small dogs use for ther duties. and as you guessed i have the normal spots starting. what i would like to do is reseed over those spots or even the complete backyard with a grass the is just dog pee proof. i water 2 times a week for an hour for each zone i have 3 zones 1 zone get 15 minutes as i have popups and they put out plenty of water.

anyway i really do not want to till the back yard and start a new lawn. i figure i may have to cut it down to 1"or so now that is it getting cold, and then toss seed over the area. or rake the bare spots and reseed them. but what seed will work for this? thanks
Hello, it all depends on the rest of the lawn; what does the rest of the yard look like? Does the overall yard need more “filling-in?” Does the rest of the yard need leveling? Does the rest of the yard needs fertilizer.

If the whole yard could use some thickness, I would go the overseeding route. I, like to take the chance to dethatch after mowing to about 1”, than go ahead and overseed and if possible throw some peat moss rolls over the entire yard or let the leaves fall and don’t rake them as they will serve the same purpose as peat moss or baystraw.

Either way, proceed if you may as you would.

Hopefully this helps.

corvairbob

Threads
the yard is good but you know if i patch just those spots the dogs will move to other places so re seeding the yard would help prevent the new spots if i can find a grass seed that i can toss on the lawn and have it manage to work its way to the dirt and the sprout. but i have to find a grass that can hold up to this abuse. i do not want to follow the dogs around with a garden hose. about the only other approach is to fence off the back door and only let them into a small area and then just let that grass go. or have a hose handy and water that area. but finding a grass that can take that abuse would be the better approach. thanks