Lawn burn

Natureboy

Threads
Anybody have a problem with their Husqvarna rider (YTH24V54XLS, Kawasaki) burning the lawn by the muffler, if parked for a minute or two while running? Its got a heat shield. Never had this with my other riders.

golftech

Forum Newbie
Threads
Google heat insulation,heat board,that type of thing,and you may come up with something you can find locally to put between the heat shield and the muffler for added protection.
I had to do the same recently with a very large Briggs Vanguard with the fuel pump mounted on the intake,too close to the exhaust pipe. Caused the engine to vapor lock on extremely hot days. Some insulation board did the trick.

Def-Ed

Threads
Another option might be having a heat barrier coating applied to the heat shield?
I mention it simply because I apply custom coatings for race applications.
There are several coatings that could be used. Header and manifold barrier coatings would both help.
Find someone locally that applies Techline custom coatings,prob not more than $15-20 to have it done.
Ask them about either applying cermakrome or TLLB.
Cermakrome is an excellent header coating,TLLB is a barrier used on engine internals and intakes.
I do car and race parts,but have been meaning to try out some stuff on my mower.

Threads
It's probably not the exhaust. If your muffler is like mine, the outlets open to the front of the machine horizontally. The problem you have, and so do I, is the cooling air. If you stick your head under the front end and look up, you will see the cylinders' cooling fins through the air exhaust side. They point straight down. In fact, the design is so stupid on my mower (YTH24V42LS) that it heats the axle so hot that the plastic covers over the spindles soften and fall off. Both of them that were on my mower have fallen off and gotten lost.

I've been looking at that for a while now thinking about fabricating a shield to redirect the hot air forward like the exhaust. You could mount a shield on the same bolts that hold that useless "brush guard".

Burning the grass is unacceptable IMO. I would think that Husq ought to know that. They even mention it in the owner's manual -- browning of grass can be expected, ignore it. Some solution, huh?

Threads
The grass has gotten burnt with me to, but I have a Honda push mower. It only happened with me when it was super hot out. I think it's just when it's hot and the mower is hot and the grass is hot, the grass gets fried.

Threads
The grass has gotten burnt with me to, but I have a Honda push mower. It only happened with me when it was super hot out. I think it's just when it's hot and the mower is hot and the grass is hot, the grass gets fried.

Well, no. That's not it. It's what I said above. When I had the Honda 3813 I could stop it anywhere running at full throttle, and nothing would ever happen to the grass under any conditions. That was liquid cooled of course so the warm air propagated slowly into the hood area, and the exhaust was directed forward about 18" off the ground. None of my other OPE has ever burned the grass either. It's just these vertical-shaft engines with their hot air directed right onto the grass from a distance of 10". You can't prevent burning without deflecting the cooling airstream.