Lawn Boy 8155 barn find

Earl Johnson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to this forum and just purchased for $20 a Lawn Boy 8155. The mower has been stored in a dry basement for over 20 years and after removing the dust it looks in very good condition. Wheels look new. The gas tank is clean and dry and the mower appears to have good compression (did not want to turn it over too much). The clutch handle was hard to engage so I left it alone. I owned a silver series Lawn Boy 15 years ago and loved it. Any help I can get in restoring this would be helpful. Thanks.

Earl Johnson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm new to this forum and just purchased for $20 a Lawn Boy 8155. The mower has been stored in a dry basement for over 20 years and after removing the dust it looks in very good condition. Wheels look new. The gas tank is clean and dry and the mower appears to have good compression (did not want to turn it over too much). The clutch handle was hard to engage so I left it alone. I owned a silver series Lawn Boy 15 years ago and loved it. Any help I can get in restoring this would be helpful. Thanks.

Just noticed the BBC lever is very hard to engage (pull back)with the engine off. Is there any way to lube or clean the BBC? It's been over 20 years just sitting.

jp1961

Threads
Hi Earl,

My Lawn-Boy Mechanics handbook says the torque required to "slip" the brake is 50 - 60 inch lbs which isn't a lot.

I've always used WD-40 on cables to free them up a bit, spray it on the inner cable and let gravity take over,,,usually a day or two.

There seems to be two springs used on the BBC setup, so a bit of muscle may be required to engage the system.

Regards

Jeff