Export thread

Lawn Boy 3054 60yr Refresh

04yamaha

Havent been on here in awhile guys but i picked a 67 model 3054. guy selling it says it was his mothers mower bought it new. Used it up until last year when she passed. story was she never wanted to use anything else because it was light and always started first pull. arnt these things amazing 60 years of use and still cutting grass. god i love lawn boys. anyway im working on restoring it but still going to using it. iv tracked down some Krylon Almond paint. looks really close and iv got remanufactured decals. love living in Canada and paying close to 60$ Canadian to buy 20$ decals from the USA hahahaha. oh well. anyway i tore it down on the weekend and started painting. when i was tear down i dug into the cylinder and piston. cylinder looks good but there is aot of play in the small end of the rod. would like to update it to the 70's+ Rod/wristpin/wristpin bearing/piston/rings. lol is that to much to ask for. hers some pics of the Before...

2smoked

2smoked

I got to admit that math was my least favorite subject in school and I hate it when I have to do it in my head. But........if it's a mower from 1967, it would be 50 years old.

04yamaha

ahahaha oh my.. your absolutly right. it is a 67. i did the math from 56. got it mixed up with my model 5000. i better change that. wish i could say im old and confused as an excuse but im only in my 30's and i hope that math is right. hahah heres my model 5000. runs amazing.. bunch of NOS internal parts. only thing im missing is a gas tank and cap then it will be restored aswell

Bleach

Bleach

Too bad, your photos are being held hostage by PB.:frown:

2smoked

2smoked

Too bad, your photos are being held hostage by PB.:frown:

Agree. I always appreciate photos of Lawn Boys that are a work-in-progress. Perhaps you can figure out another method to post them. I use an IPad that allows me to upload them directly from the device. And, believe me, I am not a techno-geek. I had to rely on my grown kids to teach me how to use it.

BTW, it's good to see a young person (yes, to me 30's age bracket is young) taking an interest in vintage Lawn Boys. Hopefully all of us on this forum will be able to see your finished work.

04yamaha

IMG_1540.jpgIMG_1539.jpgIMG_1538.jpg

Let me know if that works for you guys. If so that's my 3054

2smoked

2smoked

View attachment 33905View attachment 33904View attachment 33903

Let me know if that works for you guys. If so that's my 3054

It works for me. Your mower is an excellent candidate for restoration. Last year, I had a shot at a similar model from 1964. Unfortunately the seller kind of disappeared and it slipped through my fingers. Good find.

04yamaha

I will take some pics tonight if the first coat of krylon almond. Let me know what you think of the match before I carry on. To me it looks very close to what was on there before. And as far as I can tell it's original paint

04yamaha

I will take some pics tonight if the first coat of krylon almond. Let me know what you think of the match before I carry on. To me it looks very close to what was on there before. And as far as I can tell it's original paint

2smoked

2smoked

04yamaha,

I noticed in your start to this thread that you mentioned trying some Krylon Almond. It got me to thinking about trying some on my 1965 5233 just to see how it would look. I decided to just shoot some on the deck cover and, you know, it's a pretty close match. It is just a shade lighter but it doesn't look bad at all in my opinion. I think I'm going to spray the whole deck and possibly the air cleaner too. The deck has a fair amount of it's original paint missing and I had considered getting it powder coated, but that gets crazy expensive if you want an exact color match. The Krylon idea is a lot cheaper and I think it will still look good. Here is a before photo with the new Almond on the cover for comparison. When I get the rest done, I'll post an after photo.

Attachments

Bleach

Bleach

Those are some pretty cool mowers. I thought the only power mowers back then (50's) were reel mowers.

2smoked

2smoked

Here are the after pics. I am pleased with the result.

Attachments

04yamaha

Here my deck and motor shroud after one coat and a light sanding. Will add another coat then some clear maybe IMG_2196.jpgIMG_2197.jpgIMG_2198.jpgIMG_2196.jpgIMG_2197.jpgIMG_2198.jpg

2smoked

2smoked

Looking great!

unclelee

unclelee

My local PPG store can color match and fill spray cans. It costs about $60 per color and you get four full cans of single stage automotive. Works great. It is what I used on my edger.
The fuel cap is original paint

Attachments

L

Lawnboy77

Man both of those mowers look outstanding, that Krylon Almond looks like a perfect match.

2smoked

2smoked

My local PPG store can color match and fill spray cans. It costs about $60 per color and you get four full cans of single stage automotive. Works great. It is what I used on my edger.
The fuel cap is original paint

$60.00 is not bad at all for a perfect match plus four cans.

04yamaha

Well it’s been almost 3 years. Life got busy. And it’s taken me along time to find a donor motor. The piston and cylinder has serious gouging. I finally found a newer 70’s brick Top model that I was able to take the gas tank out of for my model 5000 and also use the D series cylinder and piston for my model 3054. The 3054 is done. I have pics I will try and post

FuzzyDriver

FuzzyDriver

Yeah, let's see those photos! : )

04yamaha

Here they are. Trying to post pics from iPhone. They keep rotating. Even if I edit them to rotate correctly before uploading. Any help?

Attachments

04yamaha

I need to redo the handle abs paint or buy a new flywheel screen. I believe originally it was a lime green both the handle and screen. Anyone know of a paint colour that is close ?

FuzzyDriver

FuzzyDriver

That looks just like a new mower. Awesome. Did you have to prepare the deck before you sprayed it, like with a primer or something? Did you also do the underside of the deck?

04yamaha

All I did was give the deck a sanding by hand a few times. I didn’t paint the underside because I had intentions of actually using this mower. When I started this project years ago I never anticipated it to turn out so well. Now I don’t want to use it.

04yamaha

One thing I was wondering when putting the decals on. Does anyone know of the top staring instruction decals were white with black like I have or was a a clear background with Black writing. ? The white background looks off to me. I would think originally it would be clear. Or just the lettering but maybe they didn’t have that technology back then. These are reproduction decals from
Grave yard mowers.

2smoked

2smoked

That looks just great. Just one suggestion. You can add a little more to the original look by painting the flywheel screen the same shade of blue as the pull rope handle. I found a color match in a small bottle of artist paint from a Walmart store. It has held up very well after quite a few mowings.

04yamaha

I thought the screen was green. Same colour as the wheels. Shade of lime green

2smoked

2smoked

I thought the screen was green. Same colour as the wheels. Shade of lime green
You know, you just might be correct. Either color will look great

S

SeniorCitizen

I pushed one just like that in the late 60's mowing my mother-in-laws yard. The only oil that was ever mixed with the gas was non detergent 30 wt.