LA135 spindles

robbiecox6

Threads
why grease the spindles on my mowers deck, the bearings are sealed?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I may not be doing it right but don't know of one that has come back. If it has a grease fitting I add grease, but only after installation. My reasoning may not make sense, but here it is. After I have the spindle and blade assembled, I put in the grease. My reasoning is that as the grease gets hot it will migrate into the bearings and also keep the spacer from freezing to the spindle shaft, as well as cutting into the top of the sealed lower bearing. Also, if the seal on the bearing breaksdown, which they do, it will give you a little longer life out of those bearings. Plus it will displace any moisture inside the jackshaft housing. Many say that I am wasting time and grease, but I say if it works for you why change. Just my opinion and as some of you say I'm just a mechanic and not a professional.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
why grease the spindles on my mowers deck, the bearings are sealed?
The reason people grease them is because the manufacturer put a zerk there because of competition and the owner/operator says to self; AH HA I must grease that without ever taking it apart to actually see inside why it isn't necessary and not worthwhile.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One of the mower manufacturers did a test a few years back, and proved that the grease does migrate into the bearings.

Mwh0428

Threads
I have one rule:

If it has a fitting grease it!

Sent from my droid 4 using LMF

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
How many pumps does it take to fill the void between the bearings. :confused2: , that's right, you don't know.

Threads
I call them (make you feel good fitiings) they are just a selling point for the dealer. Mine is the same way you grease them, and it never touches the bearings because they are sealed. I tried removing the seals on one to test to see if it helped, and it went bad just as fast as the others did with the seals still on them. It is a regular service part designed to last an X amount of hrs, and then you have to replace them.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just do what works for you and how you feel it works for the customer. As I said before, I don't know of any rebuilds that I have done and regularly service that have come back to me. That makes my customers happy.

Threads
i have an LA145 and i didnt grease the bearing at all for 2 years of mowing. then they started making noise. i probably used 3/4 of a tube of grease on them and they quieted down.

TnHusky

Threads
i have an LA145 and i didnt grease the bearing at all for 2 years of mowing. then they started making noise. i probably used 3/4 of a tube of grease on them and they quieted down.

This is the reason to grease them,what he said. I used my mower for 12 seasons and never put a blade spindle on,never replaced the deck belt and I greased it.
I'm like some of the others on the migrating of the grease, I believe it works, heck, can't hurt.