L1042 blows main 20amp fuse

buz938

Forum Newbie
Threads
The tractor ran for about 10 min and blew the main fuse(actually melted the plastic). I changed the fuse and good for about 5 min cutting and same thing. I changed the fuse, disconnected the wire harnes to the PTO clutch and the tractor idled for one hour with no problem but now the PTO will not engage?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

To help you you need to help us.
Model number from the mower and make and model number from the engine,
And as you are having clutch problems. make and model of the clutch would also be helpful

Get some auto wire, pull the plug on the clutch and try jumping it with the wire.
Clutches are heavy power draw so it will flash when you make & break the circuit.
If you can hear the clutch clicking ecery time you make & break then the clutch might be good.
If the wires get hot enough to burn your hands then the clutch has an internal short.
Check the mower side of the plug for 12V when the PTO (and ignition ) is on.

buz938

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you ...
I will try that later today. The snag has changed somewhat now. The tractor will run but the PTO will not engage at all
Before it would engage and few minutes later blow the fuse.

NorthBama

Threads
if you have a ohm meter check the resistance of the pto coil may have complete melted the wire windings.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hope you are getting plenty of overtime.
Unless the PTO wire has a dead short some where ( and they oft do )/
It is sounding like new clutch time.
Not cheap.

buz938

Forum Newbie
Threads
I probed the wires for continuity from the connector to the clutch.... found open circuit about 2" from the clutch housing. Peeled back the
insulation and repaired the broken wires, Shrink wrap and good as new. Thanks for your help....saved me a bunch of money.
BTW that clutch is $400-500 Canadian from a dealer. You can find them on internet for $150-250 however. Cheers.

buz