L100 Rod Knock

Threads
I've got an L100 that has developed a rod knock, on John Deere's part breakdowns all I see them sell is a connecting rod, no rod bearing. Do I have to replace the entire rod? If it's something that's not fixable I will just run it till it blows up since Ive got several other engines that could go in. Just figured i'd save this one.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
99.9999999% of small engines rarely or don't use rod bearings or even bearings for that matter, just the machined block and part riding on a film of oil., most of the time just ball bearings on the PTO side, and sometimes the flywheel side supporting the crankshaft. And some briggs engines use a bushing on the flywheel side.
according to Tractordata.com it uses a Briggs & Stratton 31F707 model engine.
so yes the entire rod would need replaced, and possibly the crank. if it's scored it up.... sometimes you can get a way with *minor* marks with a new rod.... but i say very minor

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems like usually when they develop this knock you hear it a couple times and then it lets go. You might have dodged that bullet.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never heard a rod knocking but regularly have a counterbalance weight knocking.
And as previously mentioned it is usually knock , knock then it opens a door in the side of the short block that Briggs forgot to put in.

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Never heard a rod knocking but regularly have a counterbalance weight knocking.
And as previously mentioned it is wusually knocj , knock then it opens a door in the side of the short block that Briggs forgot to put in.
Along with the factory injected smoke.