Export thread

Kommander versus Gravely ZT HD

R

RustyBoy

Help!!! Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but I need some serious advice. Trying to decide over which ZTM; I've narrowed it down to the 2014 Z125S-48 Kommander and the Gravely ZT HD. Both are essentially the same cost. The differences I'm concerned about are:
1.) The Kommander has 1" aluminum spindles while the Gravely has 1" cast iron - not sure but I assume cast iron is better.
2.) Kommander has the Kohler Courage while the Gravely has the Kawasaki FR Twin. From what I read, I believe most think the Kawasaki is considered a better engine but any comments here would be helpful as I also understand that the Kohler was modified for Kubota.
3.) Gravely has the floating deck while the Kommander is fixed - is this not a big deal? Most commercial units use the floating deck .
4.) Kommander has a better warranty but I would hope that the longer warranty would not be needed so this is not much of a consideration.
5.) Gravely has a 5 1/2" deck versus the Kommander's 5" - is the 5 1/2" deck overkill for a residential lawn?
6.) Rear tires on the Kommander are 22x10-14 while the Gravely has 20x10-10, and for the front, 11x4-5 pneumatic on the Kommander's versus smooth 13x5-6 on the Gravely.
7.) Very important to me as I have a bad back. Does anyone know which mower would ride smoother as I was thinking maybe the tires would be an indicator of some sorts but just not sure.
8.) The Kommander has been out for only 1 1/2 years while the Gravely model has been around a long time without changes. Both use the same drive system. Other than what I mentioned, I can't think of anything else that I can use to justify buying one unit over the other. Any comments would greatly be appreciated.

Carheir

Carheir

Help!!! Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but I need some serious advice. Trying to decide over which ZTM; I've narrowed it down to the 2014 Z125S-48 Kommander and the Gravely ZT HD. Both are essentially the same cost. The differences I'm concerned about are:
1.) The Kommander has 1" aluminum spindles while the Gravely has 1" cast iron - not sure but I assume cast iron is better.
2.) Kommander has the Kohler Courage while the Gravely has the Kawasaki FR Twin. From what I read, I believe most think the Kawasaki is considered a better engine but any comments here would be helpful as I also understand that the Kohler was modified for Kubota.
3.) Gravely has the floating deck while the Kommander is fixed - is this not a big deal? Most commercial units use the floating deck .
4.) Kommander has a better warranty but I would hope that the longer warranty would not be needed so this is not much of a consideration.
5.) Gravely has a 5 1/2" deck versus the Kommander's 5" - is the 5 1/2" deck overkill for a residential lawn?
6.) Rear tires on the Kommander are 22x10-14 while the Gravely has 20x10-10, and for the front, 11x4-5 pneumatic on the Kommander's versus smooth 13x5-6 on the Gravely.
7.) Very important to me as I have a bad back. Does anyone know which mower would ride smoother as I was thinking maybe the tires would be an indicator of some sorts but just not sure.
8.) The Kommander has been out for only 1 1/2 years while the Gravely model has been around a long time without changes. Both use the same drive system. Other than what I mentioned, I can't think of anything else that I can use to justify buying one unit over the other. Any comments would greatly be appreciated.

Since I am not a kohler fan, it narrows the decision for me. Floating deck + , 5 1/2" deck +, as for the smoothest ride; go try both out. Let us know which one you decide on.

S

st1300

Get the Kubota with the suspension seat you can just see the engineering difference in the Kubota it's super nice mower very smooth

T

tman47

Get the Kubota with the suspension seat you can just see the engineering difference in the Kubota it's super nice mower very smooth

Just bought a new Kommander today. Thought about the suspension seat for $300 until I saw an Ebay ad for the same suspension system for $149 with free shipping.

djdicetn

djdicetn

Aren't you glad you got the Pro-Turn!!!! The Kubota Kommander is a good ZTR, but the parts are very expensive compared to the Gravely and it can't hold a candle overall to your Pro-Turn for all the reasons you stated about the ZT HD(and more). My father-in-law has a diesel Kubota(a 72" $13k beast) and he's wanting to get rid of it after 5 years because he says it "beats him to death" mowing 15 acres. Just sayin' that more expensive is not always better:0)