Kohler XT650 Easy Pull Engine hard to pull and wont start

Bat57

Threads
  • / Kohler XT650 Easy Pull Engine hard to pull and wont start
I have a Kohler XT650 149cc Easy Pull engine that is hard to pull and engine wont start. It has good oil level, coil has spark, new plug, carb cleaned. Clean air filter. All the linkage is good. But the engine is hard to pull, the motor turns and there is no scrubbing or scrapping noise coming from the engine. I took the carb and muffler off and took the plug out and it still seems like it has more resistance on it than an Easy Pull engine should have. Any ideas would be greatl appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Symptoms consistent with excessive valve lash
Should be around 0.005" each

Bat57

Threads
Symptoms consistent with excessive valve lash
Should be around 0.005" each
Thanks for the info. I had not checked valve lash yet when I posted. Upon checking with piston At TDC on compression stroke, exhaust was so tight you could not move by hand and intake was very loose. So after check manual I set both at .004(.003-.005) on both. When I tried pulling it again the pull was much easier but still would not start. I did a Compression test and the gauge showed about 60 so I tried a trick I saw on a video and put a little fresh oil into the plug hole and took reading again. this time it showed about 90 pounds, so the video said the rings are probably bad but I cant find what the actual compression on this 2018 motor is suppose to be. Thanks for your help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does not sound good
Try a teaspoon of fuel down the plug hole or some carb cleaner or starting fluid
If it starts then repeat the process dow the carb throat
If it starts again then the carb is not clean
BEcause compression is dependent upon valve lash most makers do not publish compression values.
Kawasaki say 64 to 90 psi on their FS series if that is any help

Bat57

Threads
Does not sound good
Try a teaspoon of fuel down the plug hole or some carb cleaner or starting fluid
If it starts then repeat the process dow the carb throat
If it starts again then the carb is not clean
BEcause compression is dependent upon valve lash most makers do not publish compression values.
Kawasaki say 64 to 90 psi on their FS series if that is any help
Appreciate the help. I did put some carb cleaner in plug hole and tried to start, nothing happened. So I think there is not enough compression to cause combustion, so I guess its time to pull the piston and check things inside.