Kohler twin cylinder red glowing exhaust

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
if you are saying that the side that glows struggles, then I would suggest looking at the valve clearances, pushrods, etc.. Make sure that nothing is mechanically out of whack with the valves. If spraying a little flammable carb cleaner around the intake manifold, head, places where an intake leak could occur didn't change anything, it may not be a mixture issue with only one carb. That said, best way to look for leaks is using a smoke test. Every mechanic should have one or make one. All it takes is a bicycle pump, an old paint can, some old rags or a cigar, a barb and a hose to make one up. I bought a premade one for about $70 that has a regulator on it so I can hook the compressor up to it. Makes tracking down vacuum leaks really quick and easy.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Glowing red exhaust is usually a LEAN running issue which is too much air, or not enough fuel.

tkos115

Threads
Well, I think I figured it out. Was out there earlier messing with it and I suddenly stopped getting spark from the new coil. I found a good used one I had and put that one in and the glowing exhaust pipe issue is gone now. I set and spaced it the same way as the other one so I'm guessing the other coil was defective. I think it might have been a weaker spark at higher rpms so any un-burnt fuel was burning in the exhaust pipe maybe?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
sounds about right. The misfire is ignited by the next pulse exiting.