Kohler M8T Kick Back and hard start with recoil starter.

Farmalldude

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler M8T Kick Back and hard start with recoil starter.
Since there is no blade to act as a flywheel, might explain some of this. Bet the valves have never been set. Also never ran the mice off on the cooling fins either.

One valve open, check the closed valve. Rinse and repeat.
It is a horz. shaft engine not meant for a blade to attach to the crank. Surprisingly, no mouse nests anywhere. And you're right, the valves have never been adjusted since I bought it new.

Farmalldude

Forum Newbie
Threads
The flywheel key is the first thing I would have told you to checked. I’ll put money that you will find it sheared or partially sheared.
I, perhaps erroneously, reasoned that since there was no blade attached directly to the crank, it was less likely to have a sheared key on the crank due to the belt drive acting like a buffer, but now I do wish I would've checked this first. Probably less hassle just pulling the flywheel first off. Will advise.

Farmall guy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I, perhaps erroneously, reasoned that since there was no blade attached directly to the crank, it was less likely to have a sheared key on the crank due to the belt drive acting like a buffer, but now I do wish I would've checked this first. Probably less hassle just pulling the flywheel first off. Will advise.

Farmall guy

Forum Newbie
Threads
It is a horz. shaft engine not meant for a blade to attach to the crank. Surprisingly, no mouse nests anywhere. And you're right, the valves have never been adjusted since I bought it new.
There is no adjusting these valves, short of removing them and shortening them w a grinder or increasing the depth of the valve seats, or installing new ones.

Farmall guy

Forum Newbie
Threads
The flywheel key was in perfect shape. Flywheel hadn't moved an iota. Will remove oil pan next and check ACR spring.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is no adjusting these valves, short of removing them and shortening them w a grinder or increasing the depth of the valve seats, or installing new ones.
As you stated, you can adjust the valves. Easy job really. Little off the end is all it takes.