Kohler KT-735 won't turn over

shadowvampyre

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsman zero turn with a Kohler KT-735 engine. It had been running a bit lower on rpms lately, like maybe 80% power, etc when the PTO engaged.
I ran out of gas a few days, added gas(the gas has been in the can for maybe a month or so). It wouldn't start.

It would start and run in the choke position, enough for me to drive it back to my backyard. It then will not start.
Air filter cleaned, changed the spark plug, correct gap, siphoned out the gas put in new gas I just bought that day.

I will start for a few seconds if i spray starting fluid down the carb. It just won't stay running. That tells me spark is OK.

I unhooked the fuel line, and gas is pulsing out when trying to crank it from the fuel pump. I blew threw all the hoses, no obstructions. I sprayed carb cleaner on the linkages for throttle and choke controls at the rear of the engine.

I checked the seat safety switch, unhooked it, it still will try to turn over, or does fire with the starting spray no matter what I do with the seat safety.

My hunch was fuel delivery, but I cannot seem to figure this out.

Also, the decline in full throttle over the past weeks is something I would like to solve.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove spark plugs & rotate top of engine screen by hand clockwise, inspect plugs for replacement.
See Troubleshooting Section for possibilities, pages 15-18 in manual above, thanks Mark

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
remove the solenoid valve on the bottom of the carb and check it retracts with a "snap" when you turn the power on.
They collect crud then fail to retract fully before failing to retract at all
Clean it by spraying the plunger with that carb cleaner then working the plunger in & out till the carb cleaner no longer discolours, may take quite a while & rubber gloves are a good idea .
Check that the choke is closing fully if not loosen the cable clamp and move the cable .

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could just be a layer of water still in the bottom of the carb, so look at the fuel that dribbles out.