Kohler KT 715 diagnose symptoms

actionmatthew

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought I'd jump back on with an update. You all were correct; it was the valves. I can't believe how much just a little out of spec can make a huge difference. She's running like a top now. I really appreciate the help.

jviews12

Threads
I know this sounds wrong, but when it does not start, could you try a quick shot of starting fulid or similar. I just want to rule out fuel 100%. We have not ruled out fuel.

also:
when not starting, pull plugs, blow out cylinders by running starter, then attach plugs and try again. this rules out fouled and crap in head.

just for crap and giggles, lets get a compression test in these cylinders. Lets get back to basics. I like to rule out everything easy.

sorry missed above update somehow. My error.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know this sounds wrong, but when it does not start, could you try a quick shot of starting fulid or similar. I just want to rule out fuel 100%. We have not ruled out fuel.

also:
when not starting, pull plugs, blow out cylinders by running starter, then attach plugs and try again. this rules out fouled and crap in head.

just for crap and giggles, lets get a compression test in these cylinders. Lets get back to basics. I like to rule out everything easy.
IT'S RUNNING GUY. No need for starting fluid.

Read the post right above yours. Guy must be a bot. Admin alert!!!!!

Cajun power

Threads
I thought I'd jump back on with an update. You all were correct; it was the valves. I can't believe how much just a little out of spec can make a huge difference. She's running like a top now. I really appreciate the help.
yup...it does make a difference even when valves are just a little out of spec. The valves get worn (or the seats of both) and then the valve get tighter with too much clearance. Or the other way, with soot that prevents the valves from seating. With twin cylinders even just one valve out of lash can cause "timing" problems.

most mowers call out a "big 300 hour" maintenance schedule to perform valve lash and also valve cleaning. for new engines that see lots of work..I prefer to do this sooner than the 300 hour mark.

skipb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the sa
Excellent forum; what a community!
First post for me.

I have a Kohler KT 715 (7000 Elite Series, 20hp, Spec PS-KT715-3041, Serial 4613304884) motor in a riding mower/tractor that is giving me some trouble.

The symptoms are rough starting, starter binding up, not turning the flywheel, and I have to boost power to the battery with a jump and/or help turn the flywheel by hand while I have the key held in start. I have installed a new starter, new solenoid, and battery is great (I've tested with different batteries, and by jumping). Also the starter is getting the 12+ volts to it when I try to start it.

Once it runs it is fine. It seems like this has been going on for about a year, but has gotten worse somehow and now is a real problem.

My research indicates that I'm down to a couple of things this could be. 1. The ACR is broken, 2. the valves are out of adjustment, or 3. something like fluid building up in the cylinders??? - but that seems like a stretch.

One thing I can't isolate is whether or not this motor actually has an ACR. Parts of the manual indicate it does, and parts indicate it does not.

Any thoughts or diagnostic steps on this would be super appreciated.

Thanks you all,
Matthew
I had the same issue on a Cub Cadet with Kohler engine. Kohler redesigned the starter for that engine. The new part number is 32-098-10S. Idon"t know if you replaced with the old number (32-098-08S). The new starter is smaller, has more torque, and spins the engine over quickly. Hope this helps, I had a runaround and went direct to the Kohler website.

sparkyee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have the same engine and always wouldn't start if warm. Adjusting the
valves fixed it, starts hot or cold now. It did this from factory with less than 20 hours.
Good luck!

Rod Dolman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Excellent forum; what a community!
First post for me.

I have a Kohler KT 715 (7000 Elite Series, 20hp, Spec PS-KT715-3041, Serial 4613304884) motor in a riding mower/tractor that is giving me some trouble.

The symptoms are rough starting, starter binding up, not turning the flywheel, and I have to boost power to the battery with a jump and/or help turn the flywheel by hand while I have the key held in start. I have installed a new starter, new solenoid, and battery is great (I've tested with different batteries, and by jumping). Also the starter is getting the 12+ volts to it when I try to start it.

Once it runs it is fine. It seems like this has been going on for about a year, but has gotten worse somehow and now is a real problem.

My research indicates that I'm down to a couple of things this could be. 1. The ACR is broken, 2. the valves are out of adjustment, or 3. something like fluid building up in the cylinders??? - but that seems like a stretch.

One thing I can't isolate is whether or not this motor actually has an ACR. Parts of the manual indicate it does, and parts indicate it does not.

Any thoughts or diagnostic steps on this would be super appreciated.

Thanks you all,
Matthew
It sounds to me possibly Vacuum Lock.
I've had the same problem & changed battery, Starter solenoid & starter motor without success.
I now switch off fuel tap at the end of each mow & I have never had another problem.
Try It & let me know.

Rod