Kohler cv16s intermittent spark

Sparkie741

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, I am really stumped on this one, hope someone can help me. Here we go, I have Yardman with a Kohler cv16s that won't start . I was told the carb was shot so I replaced that first thing. Wouldn't start so I pulled the plug. The plug was badly gas fouled so I cleaned it up and then used a c-clamp to ground it to the motor and check for spark. Here is the weird part. While I was spinning the starter, there was no spark, however once I released the ignition switch from start to run and the engine was still spinning from running the starter and had not stopped yet, there is spark. I checked this several times and absolutely every time the starter spins there is no spark and as soon as I stop spinning the starter and the engine is still turning there is spark. The safety circuits on the brake and seat switch won't allow the starter to spin, both of those seem to be working okay. Any ideas? I could really use a hand on this, I'm really stumped.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the shroud and look at the ignition coil. Does it have one wire or two comnected to it, not counting the plug wire? If you have 2 wire what are the colors?