Kohler Courage SV610s

JoelG

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a toro timecutter with a Kohler SV610. I was cutting and jumped off the machine without shutting off the blades. As should be the engine shut off. I could not start it after. The starter engaged and the engine turned but would not start. Sounded like it had not spark so I was thinking one of the safety lockouts but it still didnt make sense. The engine seemed to be turning quite easily so then i knew i was in trouble. I removed the spark plug and i have zero compression. Clearly something with the timing gears.
Can anyone give me some direction on this? Im thinking the one of the cam gears lost a few teethe leaving a valve wide open. It doesnt look too involved to take it apart but i want a little more insight before i start.

JG

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Shutting down a Courage single like that shouldn't have caused a problem. I'd probably start simple by pulling the rocker cover and turn the engine over and see if both rocker arms are moving. There were some compression release issues on the early engines but I believe that issue was solved before the SV610 came out.

JoelG

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok but what exactly am i looking for?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remove the valve cover and while turning the flywheel make sure both valves are opening and closing the same amount. Also may want to check to make sure the piston is actually moving up and down when turned also.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you have absolute zero compression/vacuum with the plug remove I would be checking for piston movement as it sounds like a broken rod from lack of oil.

Either check as IL suggest and/or piston movement. Either way the engine shroud need to come off to access some the rocker cover screws or the spark plug easier.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
You're simply looking for anything loose or out of place such as a push rod or rocker arm. If everything looks to be intact turn the engine over and see if the rocker arms are moving.

I did mention keep it simple and then I didn't. I should have first mentioned checking for piston movement as that would be the easiest thing to check and with no compression should probably be the first thing to check if it were any other engine. I didn't go there because I've never seen a broken connecting rod on a Courage single and I'd be willing to bet yours isn't broken. It only takes a minute to check and you already have the spark plug out so there is no reason not to check.

If you do find a broken connecting rod I'd appreciate it if you would let us know and post any pictures of it if you can. They haven't built this engine in going on five years now and I'm retired so it would not be of much use other than my own curiosity.

I've been sitting here trying to think of what all I have seen with that engine that would cause no compression and I just remembered something very bizarre. Pull the air filter and make sure the wire mesh on the filter is still intact. I've seen two instances where that mesh came apart and held the intake valve open. Probably not the issue but it's another thing that would be easy to check.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Even a screw out one the carburetor vanes can cause problems. I seen a couple those lately here. One I had to replace the head.