Kohler courage 20 carburetor

Johnknorr68

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a older troy bronco riding mower with the Kohler 20 ,it would only run when you spray gas in it , cleaned the carburetor, same issue,the carburetor has a solenoid with 2 wires ,the new carburetor has 1 wire ,how can I make that work

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A one wire solenoid gets the ground through the carb body
In theory the ground should go through the carb stud
However if the cab is held in by clamping it between a plastic air filter housing and a plastic manifold then you have to provide a ground strap .
It also means you have the wrong carb

Johnknorr68

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it's the wrong carburetor,is there anything I can do with the one on there, like I was saying if I spray fuel in the carburetor it runs, when I stop spraying it shuts off

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get the solenoid working or cut the plunger off .
The solenoid shoves a plug into the end of the feed tube to the main jet so no fuel can pass through the main jet into the engine.
It is spring loaded out ( off ) the wires that connect it go 12 V when you turn the key on to retract the plunger & allow fuel to flow through .
Most of them have 2 wires a power & ground because most float bowls are electrically isolated from the engine.
Because the solenoids are at the bottom of the carb they get gummed up & full of debris so occasionally need to be cleaned by spraying the plunger with carb cleaner to soften the varnish then working it in & out , this is repeated till it moves very freely
Most will clean up fine .
If it is cut off then there is no adverse effect on the engine apart from the after fire caused by unburned fuel being pumped into the muffler & igniting in the muffler .
The solution to that is to turn the throttle down to the lowest speed count to 5 then turn the mower off .