Kohler Courage 15

Mike-s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Folks, I’m hoping you can help me. I had a courage 15 on my Jonsered mower and it sent the con rod thorough the case, I managed to get a replacement engine and was assured it was running fine before it was stripped for parts.
I cannot get it to fire at all, spark is fine and fuel getting to carb, solenoid was stuck so removed it but it actually seems like it is blowing through carb instead of vacuuming, plug is dry as a bone and on full choke a fuel mist is being blown from carb.
Any ideas?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
pull valve cover and check pushrods and rockers and set lash. Check to see if the intake valve is closing and sealing. If all that good you will need to take top off engine and check cam timing.

Mike-s

Forum Newbie
Threads
pull valve cover and check pushrods and rockers and set lash. Check to see if the intake valve is closing and sealing. If all that good you will need to take top off engine and check cam timing.
Cheers, checked valve clearance already and put air line in spark plug hole as was worried about a cracked valve, holding pressure fine. Doesn’t look like the engines been opened , could timing still be out?

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look at the the valves while hand turning the engine. While bringing the piston up on the compression stroke is the intake valve closed? Put you thumb over the plug hole and hand turn the engine and feel if there is compression after the piston is halfway up the cylinder on the compression stroke. This may be confusing if you are not familiar how to check this. The compression release could be broke not letting the valve close properly.

Mike-s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Look at the the valves while hand turning the engine. While bringing the piston up on the compression stroke is the intake valve closed? Put you thumb over the plug hole and hand turn the engine and feel if there is compression after the piston is halfway up the cylinder on the compression stroke. This may be confusing if you are not familiar how to check this. The compression release could be broke not letting the valve close properly.
Thanks, I’ll check it tomorrow and let you know how I get on.