Kohler Command Pro 12.5 needs starting fluid to start

Threads
  • / Kohler Command Pro 12.5 needs starting fluid to start
Engine is from 2002/2003 and in a late 90's Wheelhorse and is apparently a repower the previous owner did (bought at estate sale so no history but he changed fluids). Anyhow, it ran great for about 2 years, always fired right up. Then more recently, had some hard to restart when hot occurrences, and noticed the fuel filter was collapsing (see through) so replaced that. Then shortly after coil died. Replaced that. Now cranking w/o start. If I mist starting fluid, it'll run briefly. Do that a few more times and it'll start running on it's own and stay running. But let it set awhile and starting fluid is needed again to get it running.

Does this sound like a carb issue? Float sticking?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fuel problem, yes float sticking, no. I’m betting one of two things. Does it have a fuel shutoff solenoid on the bottom of the carb? If so check to see if it is engaging by feel it with one hand and turning the key from stop to run. You should feel it move and/or hear a click. If the solenoid is good time to clean and rebuild the carb. If you post back please include the model and spec numbers off the ID tag.

Threads
Doesn't appear to have a solenoid.

I discovered the choke cable was no longer aligned correctly and was affecting butterfly full-shut position, adjusted it, and started up OK throughout the day but still suspect it has the float issue.

Plan on using it throughout the day Sunday, so will see how it acts. I'll add the model/spec numbers then.

Threads
Had chance to run it a bit. Choke was part of the problem where it can at least start now. But low idle will usually stall and it needs about 30-50% above idle to stay running reliably. Back-fired last time it was shut down but choke was fully open.

Family :SKH398U1G2RA
Model: CH12.5S
Spec: 1935
Displacement 398cc

Serial = 30 = 2000 model year

Can I run a cheap "new" carb and shelf this one? What exactly wears out on these? Would pulling the bowl cover off and cleaning anything help it?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can get a cheap carb from an ebay/amazon scrap metal merchant or you can clean the carb according to the instructions you will find at outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/

Threads
Thanks for the links guys. I'll go ahead and pull it and clean it out tomorrow and see if it helps.

Threads
Pulled carb about 2 weeks ago and inspected. There was some black stringy stuff in the fuel bowl (very small amount) and I went ahead and broke a very thin needle tip off and used needle-nose pliers to hold it at a 90 degree angle and went ahead and chased out those low speed holes near the butterfly vs. messing with the Welch plug. Also ran one through any other holes and sprayed down with cleaner.

Built a tractor shovel recently and moved about 50 tons of dirt + 15 of gravel, etc., and I think added about 35 hours to it. So far, it's been doing OK. Thanks again for the links.