Kohler Command Oil Leak Issue

woodlandfarms

Forum Newbie
Threads
We purchased a 2001 Craftsman 3000 with a 23HP Kohler and it has an odd oil leak.

First this is a used machine, but seems low hours and reasonably maintained. The Kohler has good compression, is a cold start but appears very solid.

When I got the machine, I did an immediate oil change (Mobil 1 10-30) and (Oh that oil spiggot is a PITA, going to change it one of these days). and replaced the filter with a NAPA Gold (The longer version).

We live on slopey terrain, and my wifes drives the tractor up and down our driveway which is rated in parts close to 22 degrees. she also parks the mower on the driveway slope, as well as mows at least 15 degree slopes up and down.

OK, so this all said it has an intermittent oil leak at the oil filter. She mows all day and not a drop, then one day there is a puddle under the filter. it is random, the first time this happened I immediatly replaced the filter, thinking I got dirt in it. Now it has done it again (after 10 hours of work) and I have no clue. I have a oil rage in the vicinity to confirm it is the filter so I am not 100% sure. I have yet to run a metal ruller on the engine side of the filter, but I have now replaced two filters and am thinking it is either the slope and it is causing a pressure issue with the filter, or maybe the machine has too high pressure. Or maybe there is a drain in the area of the filter that I don't know about.

Now these are my assumptions, I would love to get an idea of what you guys think could be the cause.

Oh, and yes, I am the same guy from the TBN side if that means anything to anyone.

Carl

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What is the model of the engine?

woodlandfarms

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am not at the mower so I had my wife look it up. She says it is a CV6-258 (or 758)

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The command engine has a oil passage that goes from the oil pan up into the block that may me leaking. It is a steel barrel looking thing that is actually a rolled piece of stell with a slot where the ends meet. If it is turned with the slot to the outside can cause a leak. Either that or maybe the seal for the oil pan is leaking. Some of the commands us RTV sealing and not a gasket.