Kohler 5400 won’t run.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure the wire connectors AT the fuse are snug tight. So when you install the fuse, you should see DRAG marks on the fuse legs. If not crimp down the connectors.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Simplest thing worked. Blown 20 amp yellow fuse. Why did that fuse go? If the new goes, what do I check next? Maybe I’m getting ahead of myself
Probably the least likely reason the fuse blew but the easiest to rule out would be an over charging situation. If you have a voltmeter check the voltage at the battery with the engine running at full speed. It should be between 13.8 and 14.7 VDC.

If that checks out good, then as someone mentioned in an earlier post, check the fuse holder itself and it that checks out good, have the battery tested. I've seen batteries that would start the engine but wouldn't accept enough of a charge to satisfy the regulator so the charging system never shut off. I've run into it twice and both times oddly enough, it didn't blow the fuse but it did melt the fuse holder.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the voltage regulator is mounted in the plastic blower housing it needs a ground connection
On a lot of Kohlers they use a nice neat brass strip that runs from a mounting bolt to the rectifier
These have a habit of cracking through then they arc which blows the fuse or simply runs the battery flat .