Kohler 20hp courage will not run

kal-el

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,My neighbor has a troybilt riding mower with this engine on it and it has been running perfect until yesterday.She got ready to use it and said she checked the oil first and then added a small amount to to top it off.She then cranked it and made a pass through her yard and she said it blew out a puff of smoke then stopped running.I went to check it for her and the first thing I did was make she hadn't overfilled it with oil.The oil level was fine so I attempted to crank it, all it would do is spin over so I gave it a shot of starting fluid and it started and ran until the starting fluid was burned out then nothing.The first thing I then checked was to make sure I had fuel to the carb and I did.It has a fuel shutoff solenoid on it so I figured maybe the plunger had gummed up and was not letting fuel into the carb.I pulled the carb off and checked and cleaned the solenoid then put 12v to it to be sure it was working.The plunger pulls in like it should so I proceeded to give the carb a good cleaning and check to be sure the float was free and working which it was.I reinstalled the carb and tried to start it up and it is still doing the same thing, running only when I am spraying starting fluid in the carb and when I stop it quits running.Any ideas where to go from here.Thanks in advance.:confused2:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The carburetor needle valve could be sticking closed?

grumpyunk

Threads
Check the condition of your fuel line. They can deteriorate internally, yet look perfect on the outside. Additionally, you could check the fuel filter, and look inside the fuel tank for evidence of grass clippings, etc, blocking the fuel outlet.
A simple check is to remove the fuel line from the inlet to the float bowl on the carburetor. Have a container handy to catch the flow. Fuel should flow the 'full diameter' of the fuel line if the line, filter and tank outlet are not compromised. A failed vent in the fuel tank cap can also limit fuel flow. Loosen the cap, and see if it will run or flow fuel readily.
tom

kal-el

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the condition of your fuel line. They can deteriorate internally, yet look perfect on the outside. Additionally, you could check the fuel filter, and look inside the fuel tank for evidence of grass clippings, etc, blocking the fuel outlet.
A simple check is to remove the fuel line from the inlet to the float bowl on the carburetor. Have a container handy to catch the flow. Fuel should flow the 'full diameter' of the fuel line if the line, filter and tank outlet are not compromised. A failed vent in the fuel tank cap can also limit fuel flow. Loosen the cap, and see if it will run or flow fuel readily.
tom

That was the first thing I did before checking the fuel shutoff solenoid. I checked fuel lines, fuel flow in and out of filter and there are no obstructions.The tank and cap are also clear.Just a mystery to me.:confused2::confused2:

Mikel1

Threads
So did you have fuel in carb bowl when you took it apart?

grumpyunk

Threads
If it will still run on a spritz of fuel or other flammable, then you have a blockage internal to the carburetor that is preventing fuel from entering the intake.
You have flow to the carb inlet, and have fuel in the float bowl. The solenoid valve is moving when tested, so blocking must be 'further along' the path.
I would take a good look at the inlet to the main jet, as it may be blocked by a bit of something from the solenoid. Some solenoids have rubber 'caps' on the tip to insure full cutoff of fuel flow. If that came apart due to deterioration, it could block the fuel.
In short, look into the carb internals.
tom

kal-el

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it will still run on a spritz of fuel or other flammable, then you have a blockage internal to the carburetor that is preventing fuel from entering the intake.
You have flow to the carb inlet, and have fuel in the float bowl. The solenoid valve is moving when tested, so blocking must be 'further along' the path.
I would take a good look at the inlet to the main jet, as it may be blocked by a bit of something from the solenoid. Some solenoids have rubber 'caps' on the tip to insure full cutoff of fuel flow. If that came apart due to deterioration, it could block the fuel.
In short, look into the carb internals.
tom

I was thinking the same thing. I called myself checking that when I had the carb off but I will remove it again and soak it overnight then run a wire and air through any passage that I can.Thanks