Kohler 15.5 OHV - runs rough / smoke and gas out exhaust at start

jstaszko

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler 15.5 OHV - runs rough / smoke and gas out exhaust at start
I have a Kohhler 15.5 on a Craftsman rider. It runs / cuts but runs rough and spits gas and black smoke when I start it. It always starts but doesn't start as easily as it use to. I bought this rider used for $350 4 years ago and have only novice small engine repair skills so I am wondering if it's worth getting it looked at or should I just start shopping?

Thanks,
Jim

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Kohhler 15.5 on a Craftsman rider. It runs / cuts but runs rough and spits gas and black smoke when I start it. It always starts but doesn't start as easily as it use to. I bought this rider used for $350 4 years ago and have only novice small engine repair skills so I am wondering if it's worth getting it looked at or should I just start shopping?

Thanks,
Jim

You maybe be having the float/needle valve leak by. that could be a simple fix.

Does our oil level look OK? does it smell like gas?

After it has run a while(say you moved an hour and went to get a drink), and you come back and restart it, does it do the same things as when it has set for a week? Or, does it start up and run fine...

It is not what you paid for it, it is what it will cost you to repair it vs a new one.

jstaszko

Forum Newbie
Threads
You maybe be having the float/needle valve leak by. that could be a simple fix.

Does our oil level look OK? does it smell like gas?
After it has run a while(say you moved an hour and went to get a drink), and you come back and restart it, does it do the same things as when it has set for a week? Or, does it start up and run fine...
It is not what you paid for it, it is what it will cost you to repair it vs a new one.

The behavior is pretty consistent if it's been sitting an hour or a week, a little rough start, puff of black smoke, gas out the exhaust. I have had to put oil in (haven't smelled the oil for gas) and I am going through a take of gas much quicker.
Yeah, I agree about the cost of repair vs replacement.

Mikel1

Threads
Have you replaced the spark plug? If no change then I would try cleaning the carb.