Export thread

key substitute

sgkent

sgkent

Toro 20018 s/n 220346266

Went to Toro dealer for half moon key # 612066 used in axle drive gear. They substituted rectangular key 39-9680. It seems to work fine. Anyone know if this is an industry acceptable substitute?

key1.jpg

39-9680
key2.jpg

B

Bertrrr

Don't see how a standard Key will fit where a half moon key goes or how to get it to stay in place.
you should be able to find a " Key set " somewhere with the right key, I'd be surprised if you don't continue to have problems with this set up.

sgkent

sgkent

the key is used inside the pinion wheel drive gear on each side. The slot is continuous and not cut like a woodruff key. I plan to go see the dealer again this morning. But like you, while it seems to work perfectly, I don't want future problems for the mower.

StarTech

StarTech

Did you look the axle itself as these are spring loaded and axle maybe ground for the woodruff key. I have seen one these mowers in quite awhile and my memory is a little rusty.
I better get the rust remover.

1686749969478.png

R

Rivets

Get a new dealer. 612066 is available and has not been superseded. Square key will easily pinch and get caught, not allowing the gear to ratchet properly .

sgkent

sgkent

Get a new dealer. 612066 is available and has not been superseded. Square key will easily pinch and get caught, not allowing the gear to ratchet properly .
Thank you. Another clerk at the same dealer swapped the keys for me just a short while ago to the correct style and commented about what you said. Thanks Again. I knew it did not look right but needed some confirmation before taking them back.

update - half moon fits better.