Kawasaki fr651

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, sounds like valve guide. At idle the engine has the greatest amount of vacuum. This is when it is most likely to suck some oil down loose valve guide(s).

When you throttle UP, is this when you see the blue smoke most ? (as motoman posted)

A 'Leak Down test' would let you know if your valves are not seating properly, & if intake or exhaust, or the rings are the culprit.

But it's not gonna diagnose a worn guide.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well...hmm...half quart per hour is a lot IMO. My good running Intek 24 will consume about 4-6 oz per hour (no smoke), but using 5W-30 synthetic. So maybe both guides and rings??
Valve seals work well . I have had a car engine which pulled enough detergent oil through exhaust guides to clear a little channel in the carbon ring in the exhaust port. Usually mfgrs put the guide seals on the intake, but I note my Intek has a seal on the exhaust guide only. And yet any cooling by oil should be on the exaust as the intake is way cooler via cool intake mix and distance from exhaust flow. And the intake vacuum should work stronger on the intake guide. So...:confused2: Someone please "splain" it for me.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is what I have come up with.
This is the second Kawasaki engine that lasted less then 500 hours.
Going back to a Briggs.
Toro is going to replace it then I will sell the mower.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good to hear you have an escape plan. Would be good to know what failed, but I suppose Kaw will not tell you

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good to hear you have an escape plan. Would be good to know what failed, but I suppose Kaw will not tell you

I would like to know.
What I don't get is one day it will foul out the #2 cyl plug then the next day foul the other plug.

Bad part is I love toro. But this one had been bad.
200 hours a spindle bearing went out.
Then the automatic brake box.

Looking at maybe a bad boy next.
Have not heard anything bad about them.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, I thought ya had more hours on it.

& agree, always good to have back up plan.