Export thread

Kawasaki fr651

Carscw

Carscw

This is what I have found on the valves
Do I set them at TDC?
Can I do them like I do a Briggs one valve open and one closed?
First Kawasaki I have had. Started getting a puff of smoke just on start up. And not every time.

image-2685712005.jpg

G

gainestruk

Didn't get the picture Carscw, just a screen shot of phone.

M

mechanic mark

"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts" Carsw, your engine manual is 18 down, see pages 2-10 - 2-12 for valve adjustment, engine cold, intake & exhaust valves closed.

Carscw

Carscw

"K&T Parts House Lawn Mower Parts and Chain Saw & Trimmer Parts" Carsw, your engine manual is 18 down, see pages 2-10 - 2-12 for valve adjustment, engine cold, intake & exhaust valves closed.

Thank you sir.

M

mechanic mark

Thank you sir.
Yes sir Carscw.

M

motoman

The puff might simply be a little oil pulled down valve guide with throttle closed at shutdown from high idle. Seals on guides?

Carscw

Carscw

Smoked all the time now.
About half a quart of oil every hour.
But still has no loss of power.

Did not do a compression test yet. But both sides we'll blow my thumb off the plug hole.

Are the spark plugs showing burnt oil ?

Carscw

Carscw

Are the spark plugs showing burnt oil ?

Yes just on #2 cylinder
Was wet with oil.

I know blue smoke all the time could be rings.
But no loss of power makes me think not.

Maybe a valve guide?

M

motoman

If smoke under load, rings/bore. If on throttle after coast, maybe guides. Sensation of power can exist with bad rings.

Yep, sounds like valve guide. At idle the engine has the greatest amount of vacuum. This is when it is most likely to suck some oil down loose valve guide(s).

When you throttle UP, is this when you see the blue smoke most ? (as motoman posted)

A 'Leak Down test' would let you know if your valves are not seating properly, & if intake or exhaust, or the rings are the culprit.

But it's not gonna diagnose a worn guide.

M

motoman

Well...hmm...half quart per hour is a lot IMO. My good running Intek 24 will consume about 4-6 oz per hour (no smoke), but using 5W-30 synthetic. So maybe both guides and rings??
Valve seals work well . I have had a car engine which pulled enough detergent oil through exhaust guides to clear a little channel in the carbon ring in the exhaust port. Usually mfgrs put the guide seals on the intake, but I note my Intek has a seal on the exhaust guide only. And yet any cooling by oil should be on the exaust as the intake is way cooler via cool intake mix and distance from exhaust flow. And the intake vacuum should work stronger on the intake guide. So...:confused2: Someone please "splain" it for me.

Carscw

Carscw

This is what I have come up with.
This is the second Kawasaki engine that lasted less then 500 hours.
Going back to a Briggs.
Toro is going to replace it then I will sell the mower.

M

motoman

Good to hear you have an escape plan. Would be good to know what failed, but I suppose Kaw will not tell you

Carscw

Carscw

Good to hear you have an escape plan. Would be good to know what failed, but I suppose Kaw will not tell you

I would like to know.
What I don't get is one day it will foul out the #2 cyl plug then the next day foul the other plug.

Bad part is I love toro. But this one had been bad.
200 hours a spindle bearing went out.
Then the automatic brake box.

Looking at maybe a bad boy next.
Have not heard anything bad about them.

Wow, I thought ya had more hours on it.

& agree, always good to have back up plan.