Export thread

Kawasaki FH601V-AS12 oil leak and flywheel issue

M

mark abby

Engine is off a Bunton Mower. It used to run like a charm but last year developed an unusual vibration and started leaking clean oil. I pulled the engine to check seals and i noticed the flywheel could be moved slightly side to side. Is this just a bad seal issue or is it a bearing issue? I can't move the crank shaft at the bottom, but there is movement at the top by pushing on the flywheel.In fact, i could move it enough so that it would hit the coils.

I'm hoping it's just a seal issue because i don't have time to rip the engine apart. Any advice would be appreciated!!

M

mark abby

found out its a spun "bearing" on the upper case.

looks like by bye motor. :-(

T

txmowman

found out its a spun "bearing" on the upper case.

looks like by bye motor. :-(
That, unfortunately, was common for those engines early on. Happens when oil is not checked regularly and kept full. Today's engine's have a direct oil port to the flywheel side (upper) bushing, to give a little help to the all too common poor maintenance.

B

bertsmobile1

They can be bushed if you know a machinist who likes the odd bottle
I have bushed a couple of engines, just to check if it can be done and will hold up in use.
But cost wise you would be looking at about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of a discounted replacement engine

S

Selleck2

Recently did upper bushing replacement -polished and inspected crankshaft to be certain of condition. Measured crank o/d and bushing o/d and found metric bushing on E-Bay. $8.50 and 3wks later I received brass bushing. Had to do minor fitting and hone work to achieve proper fit. Engine has now been reassembled and ran @ WOT/ idle for aprox 2hrs. Everything seems A-ok , just need to find something to install it on (used Z ?) ck under real use . Engine is FH580v-22hp. Was a free test engine so I figured I had little to lose !

StarTech

StarTech

Since you have already figure out the bushing size would you apart with the dimensions used? I may need to do the same in the future here and would like at a head start on buying a bushing thru one my vendors.

Everyday it looks more and more like I need to invest in metal lathe. I just installed a carburetor bushing on similar two Kawasaki carb where I machine a schedule 80 1/8 brass pipe into the bushing needed.

S

Selleck2

I went back too my E-bay history to find bushing--most of my previous bought items are gone . However as I,m sure different series will probably have various crankshafts I would measure each to fit.
I believe I ordered 40mm x 27mm x 12mm but I have slept since then. No serious machine tools were used in fitting. Bushing used was a split bushing--slid fine emery cloth in gap and sanded both sides till bushing was snug fit in block. Once installed I used brake cyl hone in bushing bore and slowly fitted until crankshaft was proper (feel ) in block. I ck,d as i went installing bottom pan with gasket until crankshaft was able to be turned (no rods or pistons ,etc ) with light torque. This engine has oil pressure feed to upper bushing so I,m satisfied it will be happy. Please note--this is not a customer repair and I will be installing it on something to run and evaluate.

S

Selleck2

Edit: looks like it was 40mm bore x 44mm OD x 20mm length.

StarTech

StarTech

Edit: looks like it was 40mm bore x 44mm OD x 20mm length.
TNX that gives me a starting point.

Sorta like the oil pressure sensors that are 1/8 BSPT threaded.