Kawasaki 4 Stroke died during mowing. Have spark & tried ether.

Doldrums

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kawasaki 4 Stroke died during mowing. Have spark & tried ether.
I was mowing last weekend when I hit some tall grass and my mower choked on it. Now I can't start it back up.

The plug was wet, but old... so I bought a new one and gapped it to 0.7mm. It does have spark. The fuel is brand new. The air filter was blown out at the end of the last season, and this was my second mow this season.

I've tried putting some either in the carb, but it still didn't try to fire. Put a little in the spark plug hole with plug back in and didn't try to fire. It is still easy to pull the rope... but there is no attempt at firing at all. Almost like there is a kill switch engaged.

I should mention that cable to from the "control handle" to the engine is fully functioning and it is pulling the lever on the engine.

What can this be? The mower is 8 years old and has always started right up with the 2 pumps of the pimer bulb on the first pull.

As a side note... can anyone tell me what the black "pin" is that I have circled in this picture? Does it adjust the fuel/air mixture?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Carb.png
    Carb.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to the forum, Doldrums. Since you have the plug out, seal the spark plug hole with your finger while turning the engine over (cranking), a simple way to check for compression. If it tries to push your finger away you have compression still. Let us know the outcome.
If the kill switch was engaged i believe you should have no spark (fire).

Doldrums

Forum Newbie
Threads
First... thank you for your response.

Yes... I do have compression. Forgot to mention that.

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure the carburator is funtioning properly and not flooding the engine. Check the oil that it does not smell like gas. It sounds like the engine may be flooding with fuel.

Smedley

Forum Newbie
Threads
That black pin you refer to is I believe high altitude idle adjustment. Only moves about a 16th. of a turn....

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would do a compression test or if you can borrow a cylinder leakage tester that would be even better. Compression of 50 pounds will blow your finger off, but I would like to see it in the area of 90. Also, have you checked to see if you sheared the flywheel key. You would still have spark, but at the wrong time. Even a small cut in the key will cause problems.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forgot to add check for a loose blade, some engines need the counterbalance to run properly.