Export thread

Kathryn in Texas

K

kathrynwilliams

Great Green thumb with gardens, allergic to wasps, and this is where my problem started.
I have a Huskee 16.5 OHV Briggs and Stratton
313777-0112-E1 00337ZE
Model- Type Code All of this is located on top of the engine, where the fuel filters are at.

TSC-44-9761-5----MTD 13AN673G131 All of this is located under the seat.

Replaced a new Starter Solenoid: Connected the red wire coming from the battery, which also has a small red wire connected to it on the left side of the solenoid.
Connected the black wire coming from the battery, which also has a small green connected to it, and connected it to the right side of the solenoid.

? There is a black protected cable with a solid red cable with a post connector, does this wire also go to the red battery cable? I was placing the negative terminal bolt on the battery, when a spark flash, even before I placed the nut on the bolt. I am moving the negative wire from touching the housing for the solenoid; after reading an article under installing a car battery.

Thank you,
Kathryn

Boobala

Boobala

Welcome, Sorry about your dilemma, If you go to the link I've provided, youll find a list of manuals for your machine . The wiring diagrams are in one of the Owners manuals , not the parts manuals, personally, I would Download them all. Please let us know how things are working out........ Boobala ...:smile:

http://www.mtdproducts.com/equipment/OperatorManualView?storeId=10500&catalogId=20500&langId=-1

K

kathrynwilliams

Thanks for the info. Went there, type the model, serial number unknown, didn't go thru, gave up. Called the lawn mower shop where I purchase the starter.
Out of 3 wires connected to started, I had only 1 correct. I have to place the ground wire behind the starter, and mount it on the frame. Then find the wire from the starter and place it on the other side of the starter solenoid. I ask him about the spark, and he said I had it wired incorrectly, and if I wire like he says there should no spark.

Thanks,
Kathryn

Boobala

Boobala

Thanks for the info. Went there, type the model, serial number unknown, didn't go thru, gave up. Called the lawn mower shop where I purchase the starter.
Out of 3 wires connected to started, I had only 1 correct. I have to place the ground wire behind the starter, and mount it on the frame. Then find the wire from the starter and place it on the other side of the starter solenoid. I ask him about the spark, and he said I had it wired incorrectly, and if I wire like he says there should no spark.

Thanks,
Kathryn

Kathryn , my sincere apology, sorry for misleading you on the manual, I've put up the link to the manuals page for your model, the wiring diagrams are in the ..............PARTS GUIDE 00, Form # 770-10006C starting at Pg. 36 , you'll have to enlarge your view or maximize your screen to read it properly, ... again ... SORRY for the mistake, ......... Boobala ....:ashamed:

http://www.mtdproducts.com/equipmen...Code=03&modelNumber=13an673g131&serialNumber=

B

bertsmobile1

Great Green thumb with gardens, allergic to wasps, and this is where my problem started.
I have a Huskee 16.5 OHV Briggs and Stratton
313777-0112-E1 00337ZE
Model- Type Code All of this is located on top of the engine, where the fuel filters are at.

TSC-44-9761-5----MTD 13AN673G131 All of this is located under the seat.

Replaced a new Starter Solenoid: Connected the red wire coming from the battery, which also has a small red wire connected to it on the left side of the solenoid.
Connected the black wire coming from the battery, which also has a small green connected to it, and connected it to the right side of the solenoid.

? There is a black protected cable with a solid red cable with a post connector, does this wire also go to the red battery cable? I was placing the negative terminal bolt on the battery, when a spark flash, even before I placed the nut on the bolt. I am moving the negative wire from touching the housing for the solenoid; after reading an article under installing a car battery.

Thank you,
Kathryn

Wrong way to wire it, the red wire goes to the solenoid either side makes no difference,
the black wire from the battery goes to the frame of the mower or to an engine bolt.
The other side of the solenoid has the thick wire that goes to the starter motor connected to it.

The side from the battery should also have a thinner wire that goes up to the ignition switch. It will usually have a fuse in it.

You have effectively created a short circuit directly across the battery

K

kathrynwilliams

bertsmobile1,

Hello, I followed the instructions that you had given to me, and it started up like a charm. My yard now looks like a yard, instead of a field, and don't have to worry about Rattlesnakes and Copperheads hiding around the house in the tall grass.

Thanks a bunch for your information.
Kathryn

K

kathrynwilliams

Kathryn , my sincere apology, sorry for misleading you on the manual, I've put up the link to the manuals page for your model, the wiring diagrams are in the ..............PARTS GUIDE 00, Form # 770-10006C starting at Pg. 36 , you'll have to enlarge your view or maximize your screen to read it properly, ... again ... SORRY for the mistake, ......... Boobala ....:ashamed:

http://www.mtdproducts.com/equipmen...Code=03&modelNumber=13an673g131&serialNumber=

Hello Boobala,

I got the mower running, used a couple of times, and this morning it wont start. I have the choke pull out all of the way, the throttle position half way, the brake on, in neutral, and the blades unengaged. Is there a switch somewhere that is causing the mower not to start. Thanks, Kathryn

S

shiftsuper175607

Hello Boobala,

I got the mower running, used a couple of times, and this morning it wont start. I have the choke pull out all of the way, the throttle position half way, the brake on, in neutral, and the blades unengaged. Is there a switch somewhere that is causing the mower not to start. Thanks, Kathryn

Is it clicking?
Turning over and over(cranking), but not starting?
No noise whatsoever?

Did the battery go dead? possibly a wire still wrong.

Boobala

Boobala

Is it clicking?
No noise whatsoever?

Please answer the questions posed by shiftsuper.... ALSO ... Do you have a Digital Volt Meter ( DVM ) ....... are you familiar with it's use , do you know BASIC electric circuitry ????
Please recheck any wiring you worked on, for loose or broken connections , it's possible something came loose while you were mowing .... Boobala

K

kathrynwilliams

Is it clicking?
No noise whatsoever?

It is turning over and over, but not starting. I followed the directions from two guys telling me how to replace the starter solenoid, the wire to the clip on was loose, push it back on the clip. The brass or copper bolts have discoloration on them. The battery is starting to drain. I have no tools to check any type of voltage on the mower.
Thanks,
Kathryn

B

bertsmobile1

Either it is not getting any fuel or not getting any spark.
No fuel will be the cut off solenoid under the carb.
Hold it with your fingers and it should click when you turn the mower on & off, no need to crank.

If it s a no spark situation tht will most likely be because one of the safety switches is not working.
You will need some tools to test these, a minimum will be a test lamp.

Boobala

Boobala

Hold it with your fingers and it should click when you turn the mower on & off, no need to crank.

If it s a no spark situation tht will most likely be because one of the safety switches is not working.

Electrical problems are difficult to diagnose without a meter to at least check voltage readings , not trying to be a wiseguy but have you checked your oil level lately, some engines are equipped with a low oil switch that prevents the engine from starting if the oil level is unsafe, have you checked the fuse in the wire harness ...... bert is right on with his info, and charge the battery before you kill it entirely, you can spray a SMALL amount of starting fluid into the carburetor after removing the air filter and see if it runs for a brief period , if it does .... it appears to be a fuel problem, if it does'nt even try to start it's most likely not getting spark ....... these are the basic requirements for an engine to run . What is the extent of your mechanical knowledge ... have you ever worked on a small engine before... ??? Keep us informed ...... Boobala

S

shiftsuper175607

Kathryn in Texas...
I was thinking about you new problem along with reading all the responses.
It is a fuel, firing, or air problem...that is what all the responses are saying.

1) Are you out of gas? it happens...
2)Did the plug foul? I ran out of gas and it backfired. I pulled the plug because it would not start...then I realized I had run out of gas.
3) Is the air filter dirty? not enough air flow to pull fuel...try to start without air filter and/or put a little gas in the breather tube and start it.

Start with the simplest first and narrow it down to an air, fuel, or firing problem.
Then, we can work our way through it.

K

kathrynwilliams

Kathryn in Texas...
I was thinking about you new problem along with reading all the responses.
It is a fuel, firing, or air problem...that is what all the responses are saying.

1) Are you out of gas? it happens...
2)Did the plug foul? I ran out of gas and it backfired. I pulled the plug because it would not start...then I realized I had run out of gas.
3) Is the air filter dirty? not enough air flow to pull fuel...try to start without air filter and/or put a little gas in the breather tube and start it.

Start with the simplest first and narrow it down to an air, fuel, or firing problem.
Then, we can work our way through it.

I took the air filter off, its ok, I clean the small round fuel filter, and I can't remove the bolt attach from the air filter to the fuel bowel underneath the air filter holder. I'm going to see if I can a small pipe to tap lightly with a hammer to knock it loose, I've spray WD-40 around the bolt. I plan to check the spark plug next, then research where the safety switches are located. I know the deck safety switch is good, because it would start when I tired to start it incorrect. I also place a new ignition switch because the old one was corroded, and see if the new fuse on the starter solenoid has blown again.
Thanks,
Kathryn

K

kathrynwilliams

I inspected the machine the other day. The hose from the air filter going to where ever is damaged.
The fuel bowel has a bolt that has a connector with two wires connected it to. Is this the cut off solenoid? If so how do I remove it to clean the fuel bowel.
There is a fuel line that is to hard to pinch, I'm planning to replace that one, because the other sections connected from the gas tank are flowing gasoline. I know the safety switches for the blades work, the one under the seat works, and the other one, I don't know where it is located at.

Thanks,
Kathryn

B

bertsmobile1

Good idea to replace the hose
The solenoid is the thing with the wires on it.
There is a thin hex above the solenoid but most just disconnect the wires & turn the solenoid counter clockwise.
The solenoid is the bowl nut.

K

kathrynwilliams

Took the bad vacuum hose off, the brittle gas hose, took the fuel solenoid off, can not remove the fuel solenoid off of the fuel bowel. I guess I need to use a needle nose pliers to take off the solenoid while turning counter clockwise. While removing these items, a wire shape like a rectangle fell to the ground. I mark the throttle and choke levers locations before I removed the wires from their locations. If you can tell me where I need to replace this wire to its location that will be great.

Thanks,
Kathryn

Boobala

Boobala

Did you see these files , they are links to information on your machine .......... :mur:

K

kathrynwilliams

Morning Boobala,

Yes I did, and the 3rd file was very informational. The eithers I had saved for references for parts for the mower. So this morning, I am going to pick up the parts that I have removed, and will install them to the machine. I am considering to buy the wires to the fuel solenoid since it did not click like the other man had said it would. Then also get that lamp test to test the safety switches.
Thanks a bunch,
Kathryn

Did you see these files , they are links to information on your machine .......... :mur:

Boobala

Boobala

check these out ......... if the solenoid is NOT working , you will NOT get fuel into the carb. ....... Boobala

Subject: TEST SOLENOID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5zQjDhHdG0&feature=youtu.be

Inspecting the anti-afterfire solenoid

Boobala

Boobala

TRYING to get your engine manual ........
After you click on this link, when the page opens, you'll see see something like ........ " whoops there seems---etc. etc. " .......... move your " arrow " ( cursor ) to the top portion of the page ( above the Briggs trademark ) you'll see a small down- ward pointing arrow above a horizontal line ...... click on it ...... it will download the manual , then save it to your files , sorry about the long drawn out process ..... but thats the only way I could find to send it. LET me KNOW if ya got it ......... Later..... Boobala

Engine manual ......

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ybEN0LWo3azl6OUU/edit?usp=drive_web&pli=1