K61 replacing axle

95simplicity

Threads
Have bad K61. won't pull. Tried changing fluid no go. Just cannot afford a new tranny. Only used one I could find has a broken axle. Guy says he personally knows its a good trans. Question is:

Anyone had any experience or tips on changing axle if I decide to do it. Transmission diagram exploded looks like it may be not that bad other than disassembling the tran. I didn't ask which axle.

TIA for the help.
Tony

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldnt even take the chance.

Buy one if you can see it in operation but you could just be throwing your money away.

MBTRAC

Threads
If the s/h tranny has broken an axle it's a sure bet the tranny hasn't had an easy life.....when money is tight & a major componet goes in one of my mowers or tractors I try to buy a cheap running/salvageable mower (or tractor ) to get me through & even better if you can buy the same model as you have for spares interchangeability.........works out cheaper in the long run & if worse comes to worse you can always part it out to recover some money.......whereas you buy a s/h major componet & its a dud there goes $$$'s.....

95simplicity

Threads
I wouldnt even take the chance.
Buy one if you can see it in operation but you could just be throwing your money away.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's why I started this thread to get some input. Ordinarily I would totally agree with you. Finding one around here I can see in operation is next to impossible. I've been looking for months. Most I have talked to have stopped dealing in used parts. The one I did find was "guaranteed to work" but that was all. It was sold before I could go look at it. This guy will give me a 60 day warranty but I will be dealing with him and his rep which I do not know about. I am very hesitant about this anyway. Damn fixed income!!! See the rest of my reply below.

If the s/h tranny has broken an axle it's a sure bet the tranny hasn't had an easy life.....when money is tight & a major componet goes in one of my mowers or tractors I try to buy a cheap running/salvageable mower (or tractor ) to get me through & even better if you can buy the same model as you have for spares interchangeability.........works out cheaper in the long run & if worse comes to worse you can always part it out to recover some money.......whereas you buy a s/h major componet & its a dud there goes $$$'s.....

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree. I don't know what happened that the axle snapped. Again the guy with the trans knows personally about the tran. Been looking for a resonable priced 98 Broadmoor for a year now. No luck. And I have thought about buying a cheap something to get me thru but that cost would be approaching the cost of a new tran. Going in the mornin to look at the tran and try to gauge the guy's rep and to find out how an axle snapped. Again, he will give me a 60 day warr but that is only as good as his rep is. I wish I know more about hydros. Read as much as I can soak in.

Seriously considering continuing to pay someone to mow my front yard until I can get the 1000-1200 for the new tran. But i will have to let the back go (around an acre) then get it bush hogged and start working it down. Most likely that is what I will do; barring a miracle. My mower has the Vanguard engine and is in very good condition and worth putting the money into.

95simplicity

Threads
Re: K61 replacing axle (cancelled)

Took the advice of another member and called Tuff Torq. They have a rebuild kit for the K61 for $500. Their parts office is only an hour or so from where I live and a nice drive thru the mountains so gonna go pick that up and give my mech skills a shot. Been into a few transmissions and engines before but never a hydo. Sure I can do it though. I will basically have a new trans when finished. Thanks all for the help/tips/advice/etc... Will let you know how it turns our.

Tony

359er

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have bad K61. won't pull. Tried changing fluid no go. Just cannot afford a new tranny. Only used one I could find has a broken axle. Guy says he personally knows its a good trans. Question is:

Anyone had any experience or tips on changing axle if I decide to do it. Transmission diagram exploded looks like it may be not that bad other than disassembling the tran. I didn't ask which axle.

TIA for the help.
Tony

I just bought a k61 65 at a tractor show in Indiana for $25 bucks and includes all rods wheels and brand new tires. clean as out of the box, hope it works, oh well one tire is worth 25 greens right.