Just bought new self propel Toro SR 20381 .

infofrog

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the personal pace is not fast enough or to fast . Left side of handle middle area . There is a knob that's where u adjust the speed .
I had to adjust mine a tad faster
Rick

holby

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got done mowing with the SR. At first I was worried about the personal pace system because I was using way too much effort. I adjusted the tension knob, which my dealer was quick to point out when showing it to me. It had to be pulled very tight to get the the pace that I wanted. After adjustments, it was amazing. It is better than the hydro drive on the Honda IMO. Although the hydro was always smooth and went very fast, I was always reaching down with my left hand to adjust the speed. With the personal pace, you just walk faster and it automatically responds. Not sure how it would handle hills, as the only incline I had was a lot harder to push up. The mower feels light (compared to the Honda), which makes it easy to use trimming around obstacles. I was able to not use the self propel feature around some tricky spots and still move it pretty well.

Questions about enough power was quickly dispelled. I would say that the Honda 190cc is slightly more powerful...enough to mow down a a foot tall grass at a slow walk. But, with the side discharge on, the Toro never came close to bogging down in the grass I was mowing, which is very thick (with weeds) and I was moving at 4mph at times. I do not expect it to perform at the same speed when mulching, but I remember the Honda 190cc couldn't go all out (4mph) when mulching as well. Engine is plenty powerful. I had mowed yesterday with the riding mower, and there were a lot of dead clippings on the lawn. At first, I was using the bag. It filled up the bag very quickly, and the first time I used it I packed the grass in so well that it was hard to empty. After a while, I decided to try the mulching capabilities (what it's known for). It was a better at mulching than the Honda I believe. I went over some of the left over clipping from yesterday, and they disappeared. I never needed to use the bag!

I had my wife try it out. She gave it such a weak pull, I didn't think anything was going to happen, but it started right up. She said it moves very easy. She wasn't nearly as impressed as me, but wasn't happy with the $530 (after taxes) price tag. I explained that a mower built like this should last 15-20 years, and a mower at $300 will last half that and would not be strong enough to handle our thick grass and bumpy yard. She probably still isn't too happy, but the price could have been worse.

Time will tell if this was a good purchase. For the most part, the components appear very well made and should last. I would definitely recommend this mower, and am glad that I chose it over the HRX. Everything considered, I believe the Honda HRX is slightly better when going on a long straight line, but the SR is better in a more confined space. For the price, I think the SR is better overall and for what I needed it.

infofrog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm glad you like .. i like the Honda to . The price tag was to much for my lawn .. I really like the personal pace .. I think it was the best purchase for my yard .. I paid 588 out the door , with oil change after 5 hours ..
Don;t forget about the oil change ..
Enjoy
Rick