Export thread

Just bought a Lawn Boy 7265

M

mmanter

Hey guys,

I've heard so much about how cool and nice the Lawn Boys are so I decided to buy one to restore. I wasn't really looking for one but ran across one for $25 in my old neighborhood. It was such a good deal that I snagged it up. The handle is a little rusty, wheels need replacing, and the pull cord doesn't seem to turn the engine but I'm hoping to have the mower running soon. Pics to come soon!

M

mmanter

DSCI0142.jpg

Here we go

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

That's a D-series engine and the shroud style is called "suitcase". You found a nice collectible at a great price.

Link to an online service manual

M

mmanter

That's a D-series engine and the shroud style is called "suitcase". You found a nice collectible at a great price.

Link to an online service manual

Thanks for the link. It'll come in handy when I start tearing into it tonight. Does it happen to say what spark plug it takes? There wasn't one.

M

mmanter

And next in line is a Lawn Boy 5271. Getting that one for $20 from the same guy.

M

mmanter

And next in line is a Lawn Boy 5271. Getting that one for $20 from the same guy.

Passed. He upped the price to $30 even though the ebay auction for the same mower is $19.99. Said he would pull the auction & sell it to me for $30. and has a craigslist ad at $35 for the same mower.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Ohio is a great place for LB collecting. Here in Georgia, I never see deals like that... let alone two great deals in one week. :thumbsup:

M

mmanter

The guy countered with an offer of $25 and I was going to accept but then I noticed in the pics that the deck was repaired with a piece of sheet metal and pop rivets in front of the RF wheel. Looks like part of the deck is missing. It's only worth parts & since I don't need any more parts mowers I'm passing.

M

mmanter

He confirmed the deck on the 5271 is cracked so I decided to pass but he also has a 10040 for the same price of $25 so I am gonna pick it up Monday after I get off work

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

The guy countered with an offer of $25 and I was going to accept but then I noticed in the pics that the deck was repaired with a piece of sheet metal and pop rivets in front of the RF wheel. Looks like part of the deck is missing. It's only worth parts & since I don't need any more parts mowers I'm passing.

Yeah, something like a cracked deck kills the value of the mower as a collectible.

While I love the D-series mowers I have managed to collect, the newer F-series engine is better (IMO), although less rare in good condition. The main bearings on the F- are needle bearings as opposed to bushings (D-series.) The F- also has a larger displacement.

If you keep your eyes open, I imagine you'll find some great deals.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

He confirmed the deck on the 5271 is cracked so I decided to pass but he also has a 10040 for the same price of $25 so I am gonna pick it up Monday after I get off work

Is 10040 a valid model # ? :confused:

robinb66

robinb66

Yeah, something like a cracked deck kills the value of the mower as a collectible.

While I love the D-series mowers I have managed to collect, the newer F-series engine is better (IMO), although less rare in good condition. The main bearings on the F- are needle bearings as opposed to bushings (D-series.) The F- also has a larger displacement.

If you keep your eyes open, I imagine you'll find some great deals.

actually the d433 and earlier d series engines had bearings and not bushings on the top end shaft!!

M

mmanter

Is 10040 a valid model # ? :confused:

Y'know I have no idea. That's the model number he had listed but I can't find any information on it whatsoever. I know it's newer than the 7265 I have since it has a newer design to it but not sure what the actual model is.

M

mmanter

Well crap.. I put the extra zero in the wrong place. It's a 10400

M

mmanter

Here's a pic of the 10400. More than likely this will be a mower that I repair & sell. $_57.jpg

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

actually the d433 and earlier d series engines had bearings and not bushings on the top end shaft!!

I didn't know that. I wonder why they went to the bushings, which cause so much trouble. :confused2:

And why at the top only?

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Here's a pic of the 10400. More than likely this will be a mower that I repair & sell. View attachment 20078

That's a fine mower -- F-series engine, alloy deck. :thumbsup:

M

mmanter

That's a fine mower -- F-series engine, alloy deck. :thumbsup:
Didn't buy it. Too many mowers to fix and not enough cash to buy another one. Oh well, there will be others.

M

mmanter

Just started to work on the mower and when I removed the cover I noticed something missing. Ignition coil. It'll be impossible to get it to run without a coil, even if the starter recoil issue is fixed, so now I'm gonna start hunting for one of them. Not sure why that was missing or what the previous owners were doing but it makes me wonder if it ran at all before the coil was pulled.

robinb66

robinb66

Thanks for the link. It'll come in handy when I start tearing into it tonight. Does it happen to say what spark plug it takes? There wasn't one.

I usualy just use a CJ8 champion on my mowers!!

M

mmanter

I just saw this reply. Thanks for the plug info. Even though I don't have the rest of the ignition system for it I'll grab the plug & install it. That'll be one less thing I need for the mower. That & I may also go ahead & use some steel wool on the handlebars since they are somewhat rusty.