John Deere X300 starting issues

LindseyR

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please help! We have a John Deere X300 riding lawn mower. Last summer we washed it after use one day (like we have done many times before - garden hose and quick sponge, nothing intense or invasive - but lesson learned!). About 20 minutes later, when we were doing other tasks in the yard 50 feet away from the tractor, it randomly STARTED ITSELF. We couldn’t turn it off until we disconnected the battery. Since then, it won’t start unless we jump start it with a screw driver. We have replaced the starter, solenoid, ignition key switch, control module, spark plugs. Safety switches all seem fine. It runs perfectly fine once we jump start it. It will cut the grass, haul the lawn tractor, do anything we want it to do except start when we turn the key. It has to use a screw driver. It hasn’t started itself again without a person nearby since that day. A couple of times it wouldn’t turn off when we were done without disconnecting the battery, but mostly it works fine. If we are patient and turn the key 30-3,000 times, it will occasionally start. However most of the time when we turn the key literally nothing happens. On a rare occasion it makes a click or two but that’s it. We are at our wits end. The dealerships have told us this can’t happen. Ugh! Purchased at John Deere, not garden/home improvement store. We have already replaced and re-replaced the starter, solenoid, and key switch. The other things we have just done once. Thanks for any thoughts or ideas as to what in the heck could be going on here.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
No start issue and no shut off could be a ground. No start could be the PTO switch since the start circuit goes through it. Make sure the battery terminal bolts and ground are clean and tight.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would get a wiring diagram for that model and serial, have it printed on a larger piece of paper, and laminated, then start tracing Voltages. As an example, when you turn the key the solenoid should get 12V as a trigger to pull it in, right? So you measure between battery ground and the solenoid to see if 12V is at the starter, and the 12V trigger is there when the switch is turned. If not you move back up the line to the next relay or switch and see if it is there. Eventually you will find a bad something or a bad ground. I Googled X300 and saw a wiring diagram for one, but I have no way of knowing if that is the one for your specific model and serial. On that wiring diagram there are many grounds, and there is a starting relay, and a module that controls some things. It could be as simple as you got water in a relay and that shorted out and started it, now it is corroded inside and doesn't work. Unless you can learn how to read a voltmeter and follow the circuits you will just keep throwing money at it. Think of electricity in a wire like water in a pipe. If you measure water pressure (equal to voltage) at one end of a pipe and there is no pressure at the other end then you know the pipe is broken or a valve closed somewhere in between. A relay is like an automatic valve. A switch is like a manual valve. Amperage is like the amount of water flowing in a pipe. I'll try to keep an eye on this thread when I can as I am good with wiring and diagrams, but know nothing about riding mowers. Good luck. IF YOU FIND A WIRING DIAGRAM for your specific model and serial please post it or a link to it.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BEcause you have a John Deere you can get a copy of the John Deere technical manual for your mower.
I can not praise them enough, particularly for electrical problems
For starter there is a run down explaining how each circuit works
Then there is a diagram showing exactly where every electrical part is hidden
After they there is specific instruction how to test the circuits and more important where to test the circuits
Then it tells you what the results mean and how to replace the parts
Worth 3 times what they charge for them which is about 1 hour of dealer labour so they pay for themselves the first time you use it .
I would post the relevent pages if I had one but I have no customers with X series JD's

D

Deleted member 97405

Have you replaced the interlock module under the dash? This is a small box housing the electronics for the safety system. Deere has updated that part many times due to electronic failures. I've seen them do weird stuff when hit with water. The strangest part in your original post is that it won't turn off with the keyswitch. Even with a faulty module, the engine should still shut off after a few seconds because the key switch cuts off the power to the carburetor fuel shutoff valve as well as applying an immediate ground to the ignition coils. So you may have a few gremlins happening.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Please post the serial of the mower as I do have the wiring diagrams for this mower. Also note if this is an export model or not.

It does sound like something is amiss with the ignition switch such water getting into the switch causing shorting.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the x300 is like other x3## models the interlock module can cause no crank problems and also not turning off. There is a time delay before before the ignition turns off after the key is turned off. I have seen the module cause some weird intermittent stuff on a x345.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The interlock has nothing to do with the starter itself. And most of the other functions of interlock can be bypass and still maintain the safeties.

The interlock is very similar to the Z830A, Z925A, and Z950R that I have done single, double, and triple bypasses on. About the only that is not bypassed is the reverse inhibit mode. But even can done as switch off the PTO in reverse and have it to auto engage once going forward again.

Sam H

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a JD X300. Last six numbers on ID 330691.. Mower was running fine. Turned it off and rinsed off the hood and dash. Now it will not start. Makes a very faint clicking noise from under the dash. Checked the fuses, replaced the diode, relay, PTO switch, ignition switch and computer module under the dash. Still making faint clicking noise. Took a screw driver and shorted the solenoide and the engine turns over. Replaced the solenoid last year. Had the battery checked and it is good. Only thing left on the dash where the water hit is the hour meter. Will disconnect and see if that helps. Any thoughts appreciated.
Sam H