John Deere voltage draw which is draining and killing batteries

KimKong

Forum Newbie
I have a John Deere 145 which I use for mowing and snow blowing. Last summer I went through 3 batteries. I just found out that I have voltage draw when everything is off. I have narrowed it down to the voltage regulator. Any ideas what is causing this? When I disconnect the ground wire from the voltage regulator, there is still a voltage draw. I have checked the continuity of the ground wire and it seems okay. Any help would be great... do i just need to replace the voltage regulator? Is this a common problem?
 
Voltage regulators are easy replacements and do fail...
What engine is in your JD?
There are a lot of on line sources for small engine parts plus your local dealer will have them in stock. :smile:KennyV

PS glad to see another new member to LMF... welcome to a fun place to visit...
 
Thanks KennyV... it's a Briggs and Stratton, 22hp. My temporary sollution is to pull the fuse when not in use :)
 
...My temporary sollution is to pull the fuse when not in use :)

That will work, BUT with the rectifier or regulator bad, you most likely are not charging correctly when the engine is running...
Do you have a volt ohm meter? :smile:KennyV
 
Back
Top