John Deere s100 won't start, whining noise, flywheel doesn't spin

ACNewman254

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere s100 won't start, whining noise, flywheel doesn't spin
I was mowing overgrown grass when I realized I was low on grass and was driving to put the mower away for the day. White smoke started coming from around the mower deck. I figured it was from the grass piling upso I stopped the mower, cleaned it off. It started to rain unfortunately so I ended up leaving the mower uncovered.
I recharged my batter (I had to do so twice in the past week). When I went to start the mower, the flywheel does not spin, there is a whining noise. The mower has about 20hrs on it and I've had it for about 10 months.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If this is a new mower, 10 months old, I would have it checked by the dealer or authorizEd repair shop for repair under warranty. If it is used it is probably one of two problems. If you have to charge the battery, your charging system may not be working properly, resulting in a battery which is to low to turn the starter over properly. If the charging system is working properly and the battery is fully charged, I suspect that the starter bendix gear is worn and needs to be replaced.

tagpop

Threads
Clean and tighten the battery connections and tighen the selnoid connections if you can get to them. I use a Black and Decker tickler/charger $39 and it keeps my battery healthy during winter and summer. Been using my current battery for over 3 years and thats a record for me.