John Deere mower D170 won’t start

Soll

Forum Newbie
Threads
My John Deere D170 stopped running after running rough for a while. I replaced the fuel pick up (it was obstructed) and cleaned the fuel tank. I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and carburetor. I replaced the air filter. I replaced the spark plugs and checked for spark. I adjusted the choke linkage. It won’t start with full choke. If I remove the air filter and put my hand over the air intake, it will start. It runs well with full power for a while but then stops running. I would appreciate any advice.

Soll

Forum Newbie
Threads
The mower is on the big island and I am on a Oahu now so I can’t tell you what type of engine it is. I know it is Briggs and Stratton but I don’t know what model.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
stopped running after running rough for a while.
Sorry to hear that.
I replaced the fuel pick up (it was obstructed) and cleaned the fuel tank.
As in a clean new part condition? Some people call clean taking a leaf blower to it.
replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, and carburetor. I replaced the air filter. I replaced the spark plugs and checked for spark.
All these new parts require testing. New doesn't mean new anymore.
It won’t start with full choke. If I remove the air filter and put my hand over the air intake, it will start. It runs well with full power for a while but then stops running.
Both conditions are choking the carb. Strange one way works a bit, other not.

Does a shot of carb spray fire the engine off?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not really. If throttle cable is incorrectly adjusted the choke will not be fully closing. The cable must be adjusted while the throttle lever is in the choke position while making the choke vanes are fully closed.

Soll

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry to hear that.

As in a clean new part condition? Some people call clean taking a leaf blower to it.

All these new parts require testing. New doesn't mean new anymore.

Does a shot of carb spray fire the engine off?
All the parts are new. I will be on the Big Island this Saturday and will try the carb spray and report back.

Soll

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not really. If throttle cable is incorrectly adjusted the choke will not be fully closing. The cable must be adjusted while the throttle lever is in the choke position while making the choke vanes are fully closed.
I have adjusted the linkage so that it moves to maximum rotation. I will look at this again Saturday when I am on the Big Island.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
He said he adjusted the choke linkage. All I can do is take his word on it.
I adjusted the choke linkage.

Soll

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will check the choke linkage Saturday when I get to the Big Island and adjust it with the throttle lever in the choke position.