Fuel John Deere LX178 fuel problem.

GleeG

Forum Newbie
Threads
My John Deere LX178 lawn tractor will only run with choke on. I was cutting lawn when engine died. I attempted to restart but it would only run with choke on. It has a 15 hp Kawasaki engine.

Mikel1

Threads
I would check the flow of fuel from the fuel pump. If that's good then I would clean the carb.

GleeG

Forum Newbie
Threads
I removed the fuel pump and pressed the pump arm in and it shot fuel out of the fitting that leads to the float bowl. Is there a cam or pushrod that may have worn down so to not activate the pump? I removed the float bowl and pin and there was no sediment in the bowl. There is a small 1/8" diameter at the top of the carburetor that is not connected to anything. I looks like it should go somewhere but I can't find anything to connect it to. There is plenty of fuel in the tank and I have blown back from the filter into the tank and there is no obstruction.

logan01

Threads
I would consider a thorough carb cleaning and blowing it out with compressed air if you have a compressor. Check the simple stuff first for sucking too much air. Carb, intake, etc mating surfaces. Perhaps even a nasty/damaged needle. The bottom line is it sounds like you're introducing too much air to the mix therefore the choke needs to be fully choked.