John Deere LX176 no crank

tools

Forum Newbie
Threads
Started by only clicking when key turned key to start. After turning key to start 10-15 times (clicking each time) it would start. Now it will not click or start. All s/switches check good.
Appears to be the ignition module (with key). But this part is no longer available from JD. Is there a way to work around this? What should I try next? Fuses are good. Battery is good with full charge. Cleaned battery cables, removed and cleaned ground to frame.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It can be bypassed but it will take someone a good working knowledge mower wiring and that has a wiring diagram for the LX176. Be aware it not a quick job if all the safeties are to remain is working order.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unless it is a substantially different mower to the one I think it is I seriously doubt it will be the key switch as JD use relays every where
What usually causes grief on LX's is the fuseable link so the starting / ignition module gets either no power or poor power so start by checking you have FULL battery voltage at the red wire that plugs into the module
There are also 2 fuses and while they may be good the connection between the fuse holder & the board often goes bad
Then there are the 2 relays on the board itself ( Some have a double contact double throw relay )
The control wire to the starter is a ground wire ( just to confuse every one ) so if the ground connection to the module is bad then nothing will work properly .

I would seriously suggest that you invest in the JD technical manual for your mower
I think the LX one is kicking around on the web so you can download it for free
The module is quite simple and easy to repair but bypassing it is not quite so easy .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1715255708927.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As you can see from Stars post, the board is the bits inside the dotted line
2 fuses
2 relays
Key switch

Skippydiesel

Threads
12 Volt automotive systems are notorious for developing poor ground/earth.

Remove & clean all earth connections. Make sure they are all tight.

With my own equipment, I always run a dedicated (-) earth/ground return cable/wire, from battery (-) to engine ie I do not rely on the chassis earth return