John Deere LX 279

yohan

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought this mower and it has an annoying safety feature, when mowing and then stopping to back up, the mower shuts off. I know this is a great safety feature so I don't back over a child, but I don't have any kids around me. Is there a way to defeat this?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I never like to tell people how to dissable safety features as ther are a lot of clots out there who insist they are all a communist plot ( insert your favourite dellusion ).
However if you look carefully there has to be a switch that is tripped when the mower goes backwards and usuallt they are bolted on the outside of the gearbox, coltrol lever etc.
If you pug your number into the JD web site parts listing it will show you roughly where to look.

The reverse cut out apparently comes from an idiot who reversed over live power lines on their lawn / driveway.
Yep you guessed it his widdow sued the mower company and got an award.
This goes well before the ZTRs flattening the grandkids.
It is impossible to run any one over reversing and have them contact the blades.

logan01

Threads
Can you not pull up the pto/rio switch as you change to reverse and continue mowing?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you not pull up the pto/rio switch as you change to reverse and continue mowing?

Yes, as Logan says...pull/hold upward on the PTO switch and it will allow the blades to remain engaged as you back up.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you just want to bypass it disconnect your RIO (reverse implement option) switch and run a jumper wire in the plug. Just think you are bypassing a safety switch if you do so. They ran mowers a good many years without this option.

logan01

Threads
My old L120 has a red PTO push/pull knob on the right and a small yellow push button (reverse mow) on left of steering wheel / instrument panel.