john deere lx 279 stalls after 30mins?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your fuel pump is not getting fuel to the carb on an incline. Check to see if the fuel line is blocked anywhere and the check fuel pump output.

jsservant

Threads
ok.
i have replaced the fuel line with new line from the pick up tube in the tank all the way to the fuel pump, also replaced the braided tube from the pump to the carb, and put a new fuel filter on it.
heres the problem. it cranks runs great even runs great with blades on and mowing but on even the smallest incline it begins missing so bad i have to stop the blades and it continues missing for a few mins and then out of the blue it start running great again?????
when i say incline it can just be a small hump in a yard and it will do this.
when it is missing it blows a small amount of black smoke out
could this be the pump going out? how can i check it
the pump is new but not a oem
Thanks for all the help

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me that you need to rebuild the carb. Make sure that you check the float level, it may be set too low, not allowing enough fuel in the bowl for all operating conditions.

jsservant

Threads
so here is one for the books after all the time ,aggrevation,and money i have put into trying to fix this thing guess what it turned out to be,
the answer im a dumba$$. I started taking the carb apart and there is the problem awhile back when i changed out the air filter i had lost a washer yep you guessed it, found it sitting right there by the choke butterfly,
and after thinking back all these problems started the morning after i changed out that air filter:ashamed:
there has to be a lesson that can be learned from this, oh yea dont be a idiot, LOL

housbird

Forum Newbie
Threads
:licking::laughing:
i have a john deere lx279 with 17.5hp liquid cooled kawasaki engine after running great for about 30 min it just shuts off almost like it runs out of gas, it will start back up but only runs for 10-15 seconds.
if you let it set all night you can get another 30 mins of perfect running then same thing
have replaced fuel filter,cleaned tank and refilled with fresh ethanol free gas,new plug,new gas lines
please help

dgpendleton

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have the same problem and we have taken it to a John Deere certified repair tech. and they replaced EVERYTHING you have mentioned above. Believe it or not the only way we got the lawnmower to stop this behavior is to remove the hood while mowing. We do not know what that does other than giving it more air. I believe that it is vapor locking. I am going to try the old solution by putting a cloths pen on the fuel line to see if that fixes it too.

Try running with the hood off. It would be interesting if that fixes your problem!!

DGPendleton

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
so here is one for the books after all the time ,aggrevation,and money i have put into trying to fix this thing guess what it turned out to be,
the answer im a dumba$$. I started taking the carb apart and there is the problem awhile back when i changed out the air filter i had lost a washer yep you guessed it, found it sitting right there by the choke butterfly,
and after thinking back all these problems started the morning after i changed out that air filter:ashamed:
there has to be a lesson that can be learned from this, oh yea dont be a idiot, LOL

Some how the line " YOU ARE NOT ALONE " immediately springs to mind.
Consider yourself lucky it got stuck on the choke

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
so no one has any ideas?
since the post i have replaced fuel pump and check and cleaned gas cap vent
please anyone i need help

My LX277 had a deteriorating gas cap gasket. pieces of it fell in the tank and as I mowed it did what you are complaining of.
Odd, it started stalling when I turned a corner, then it would throttle back up...then gradually got worse.
I pulled the tank and cleaned it and problem solved.

Before that I put on a new filter and new fuel pump. nothing helped.

Before I cleaned the tank, I could blow air in the tank opening and only get a small trickle of fuel out. (by disconnecting the fuel line before the fuel pump.)
After I cleaned the tank. I filled My container very quickly. I used a clamp to hold my container and fuel line in place, or a helper could assist.

test your fuel output from your gas tank and see...I am thinking your fuel tank is like mine and under the seat and gas must siphon to the engine.