John Deere LX 277 Kawasaki Engine Issues

christophert

Threads
I have a question, we have a LX277 in our shop with a Kawasaki engine. It was dropped off with the complaint it would only run at 1/2 throttle amd it would break the deck springs. We pulled the engine and inspected the governor and it appeared ok. But, when we reassembled the engine and restarted it still will only run at 1/2 throttle no matter how we try to adjust the governor. Has anyone else experienced something along this line and if you have was the governor the root cause or should we look somewhere else? Thanks for any help!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you change the speed by manually moving the throttle without the control linkage? Also, if you do have a shop you know that we need engine numbers to see what you are talking about. Our ESP has been silenced due to the impeachment trail.

christophert

Threads
The engine number decal is missing (and there are no numbers on the block). We do know it is a 17hp Kawasaki v-twin. By using the throttle, we can advance the throttle to roughly 1/2 speed (even when advancing the throttle to full throttle) .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does it stumble or just hold steady at a lower RPM. Have you checked val clearance and condition of the flywheel key? If these are good, then I would be looking at the carb itself.

christophert

Threads
It holds rock steady at low RPM. No, we will check valve clearance. Thanks.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd first go back to what Rivets asked, will it speed up fully when you open the throttle directly on the carb? (not an efi motor?)