Export thread

John Deere LA135 (LAWN TRACTOR MOWER)

S

SJS

What is the minimum CRANKING RPM at whch the plugs will fire (Spark)? Cheers.

B

bertsmobile1

It will depend upon the strength of the magnets, the distance the coil is from the magnets, the resistance in the spark plug ( thus the gap ) and the condition of the plug & HT wire.

Now if you have a problem list it plus the engine maker & numbers & we will see if we can help you fix your mower

S

SJS

It will depend upon the strength of the magnets, the distance the coil is from the magnets, the resistance in the spark plug ( thus the gap ) and the condition of the plug & HT wire.

Now if you have a problem list it plus the engine maker & numbers & we will see if we can help you fix your mower
ranke

Thanks for the reply.......
I cranked the engine with an electric drill & 32mm socket (plugs out!) and obtained a healthy spark at both plugs..... I then removed the starter & sure enough, it was well below speed due to to two of the brushes being stuck in their holders, one +ve side , the other on the-ve side.... due to overheating of the plastic brush holder, so assuming that is the cause of "low cranking speed".
I was a bit mistified as the speed seemed adequate, but on the other hand, this is a two cylinder B&S ....I am more familiar with the single pot B&S models.
Now the owner is shocked at the quoted replacement price!
Cheers.
Steve.

Catherine

Catherine

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our John Deere section :smile:

B

bertsmobile1

ranke

Thanks for the reply.......
I cranked the engine with an electric drill & 32mm socket (plugs out!) and obtained a healthy spark at both plugs..... I then removed the starter & sure enough, it was well below speed due to to two of the brushes being stuck in their holders, one +ve side , the other on the-ve side.... due to overheating of the plastic brush holder, so assuming that is the cause of "low cranking speed".
I was a bit mistified as the speed seemed adequate, but on the other hand, this is a two cylinder B&S ....I am more familiar with the single pot B&S models.
Now the owner is shocked at the quoted replacement price!
Cheers.
Steve.

Most of the B & S starters have replacement brush sets available.
If Briggs don't list them then Rotary , Oregon, Stens, Prime Line will.
I got mine from Prime Line when they were closing down in Aus.

If the brush holder is distorted then the owner is cranking for too long so there is a problem elsewhere.