John Deere LA105 transmission / drive belt

rytom88

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an LA105 that I thought the transmission went out in. When I put the lawn mower up after cutting the yard last time everything was in good running order. A week later I started the mower up and put it in reverse and it barley would move. I then put in in 1st gear and the same thing occurred...it barley moved and I smelled something like a clutch or brakes. I just automatically assumed it was the transmission. I ordered a transmission from Greenparts on line. I installed the new transmission last night with out a hitch until I put it in gear. To my dismay, and $350.00 lighter in the wallet, it did the same thing as it did with the old transmission it moved very slowly regardless of what gear it was put in.

I now am suspecting that it may be the drive belt. Before I go off on another tangent assuming that I know what is wrong and tear into trying to fix the problem I thought I would try and see what ideas others had about what is wrong and how to go about checking for the problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get it up in the air without the deck so you can see clearly what is happening underneath.
Have some one work the clutch a few times and check that the lever is moving its full travels and all the pulleys spin free.
Then have tehm start the mower and put it in gear and watch what is happening or to be more precise what is not happening.
Good thinhg is the old tranny will get a reasonable price on evilbay .
Belt or pulley, bolt fallen out of pulley mount are most likely.
Burning smell was the belt not running on a rotating pulley and there is a better than average chance it will have a resonable lump worn out of the side so will be toast.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Be sure to replace idler pulleys along with new drive belt, most lawn tractors have two seperate idler pulley assemblies, some have grease fittings, center bearings in these pulleys will & do fail, you'll be glad you did.